Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i accont for finance charges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do i accont for finance charges

So I had 2 CCs. I paid one with a balance of $385 down to $0 but then when the statement cut I still have a balance of $4.87 because of finance charges. How are you suppose to pay down to zero if you are still going to report  a balance after finance charges are added?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: How do i accont for finance charges

Most CCs don't charge you finance charges for the first 21 days after a purchase.  I'd pay within that timeframe to avoid them. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
vish1
Valued Contributor

@fused wrote:
moved to cc forum.

Is this a special kind of page? When I try to click on the link, I get an error saying. Access Denied

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I had 2 CCs. I paid one with a balance of $385 down to $0 but then when the statement cut I still have a balance of $4.87 because of finance charges. How are you suppose to pay down to zero if you are still going to report  a balance after finance charges are added?

If in January you had charged the $385, you would have at least the 21 days mentioned to pay that balance in full in Feb. and not pay interest.

But if you charged that $385 in Dec. and paid a min. of lets say $15 in Jan and then paid the balance off in Feb. you would be charged the interest based on average balance over the time frame of Jan-Feb.

I hope I said that so it makes since

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.