cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you know when you have a World Mastercard?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

How do you know when you have a World Mastercard?

I've had the Citi Diamond Preferred for almost 3 years now.  I ordered replacement cards last week and the new ones now have WORLD on them.

I guess that means I had it all along?  How does one really know?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Re: How do you know when you have a World Mastercard?

It says WORLD on the card and the cl is 5K+. 

Message 2 of 37
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I think the general rule is that it's the MC equivalent to a Sig Visa.  Usually starting CL's are 5K+ to get the perks of the card.  There are exceptions to this rule (example, Huntington Voice is World MC no matter the starting limit supposedly).

Others may be able to chime in.

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 3 of 37
Involver
Valued Contributor

World MC do not have to have 5k+ CLs.  

I know, for instance, that the Capital One-backed GM card has given out WEMCs with a $500 limit.

Message 4 of 37
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@Involver wrote:

I know, for instance, that the Capital One-backed GM card has given out WEMCs with a $500 limit.

Is this called a secured World Mastercard by chance?  haha Smiley Happy  had to say it....

That's actually pretty nice if that's the case.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 5 of 37
newUser0
Established Contributor

@Involver wrote:

+1 agreed.

Message 6 of 37
Shock
Established Contributor

This thread actually brings up a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

Is a WMC or WEMC even matter? Does Visa Siganature even matter? 

I do know they come with extra perks and things like that. But does it really make a difference for the average  Mr. Lee M. Cardholder?

I honestly think it's the prestigious aspect of it. Am I missing some sort of everyday benefit? 

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 7 of 37
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Shock wrote:

This thread actually brings up a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

Is a WMC or WEMC even matter? Does Visa Siganature even matter? 

I do know they come with extra perks and things like that. But does it really make a difference for the average  Mr. Lee M. Cardholder?

I honestly think it's the prestigious aspect of it. Am I missing some sort of everyday benefit? 

Any WMC/WEMC/Visa Sigs are known as the "Flexible Spending Credit" cards, meaning you can go over your given limit without having to worry about your card being denied...other term used is the NPSL.

Most WMC/WEMC cards have min of $5k+ limit, but i think nowadays it all depends on the lender and the product....I have a WMC w/ a $2k limit, and a WEMC w/ a $3k limit.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 8 of 37
Shock
Established Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

Any WMC/WEMC/Visa Sigs are known as the "Flexible Spending Credit" cards, meaning you can go over your given limit without having to worry about your card being denied...other term used is the NPSL.

Most WMC/WEMC cards have min of $5k+ limit, but i think nowadays it all depends on the lender and the product....I have a WMC w/ a $2k limit, and a WEMC w/ a $3k limit.

Given that 5k is usually the threshold for WMC/WEMC/VS's... lets go with that. But how often can someone really max out 5k in a month? I understand there are heavy spenders, and also people who use them for business expenses which can really add up....but I don't consider those people "average". So...again, is there any other everyday benefit for the average cardholder? Sorry if I don't make sense!

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 9 of 37
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Shock wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Given that 5k is usually the threshold for WMC/WEMC/VS's... lets go with that. But how often can someone really max out 5k in a month? I understand there are heavy spenders, and also people who use them for business expenses which can really add up....but I don't consider those people "average". So...again, is there any other everyday benefit for the average cardholder? Sorry if I don't make sense!

This is the general assumption(as i think so too), but we have to take it into consideration that there are still many that only holds one or two cards that may go over the limit easily.  How often?  That depends on the individual. 

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.