Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you rack up YOUR points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you rack up YOUR points?

Do you spread out your points / credit cards with a whole bunch of different companies? Or do you try to keep it within one or two companies? Which do you prefer & why?

Debating to focus more on TYP,  UR, or Cashback & would like to hear all of your wonderful experiences & opinions 😊😊

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you rack up YOUR points?

If you are talking offseason non intro bonus periods im simply banking my American Express points and actually redeeming chase points because I don't have a Sapphire card, and the 5% groceries was significant cash back this time around.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since things swing around and devalue it might be a good idea to look at things backwards and apply for cards that are friendly with Airlines you can use instead of just picking the airline to work with a membership and cards you already have.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of my spend is on the Chase cards for UR points. I chose this becuase they seem the most flexible for redemption with different arlines and hotels. I use my Amex blue cash whenever they have a good promo for the card, like 10% off gas right now. I chose one system , UR, becuase I don't want to have points spread all over the place and have to keep track of where they are. 

Message 4 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most of my spend is on the Chase cards for UR points. I chose this becuase they seem the most flexible for redemption with different arlines and hotels. I use my Amex blue cash whenever they have a good promo for the card, like 10% off gas right now. I chose one system , UR, becuase I don't want to have points spread all over the place and have to keep track of where they are. 

Yes, unless you have a lot of spend (a relative term) and you want transferable points, it makes sense to focus on just one program, choosing the one that has the best partners for your location and goals.   With more spend, multiple programs make more sense to increase flexibility, especially if one partner devalues.

If you are into cash back, you can use many more programs, just make sure you can reach minimum redeption on each in a reasonable time

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have 1 travel card so far, but I have a pretty good idea of what my strategy will be when I get more. For me it's not about the bank but the travel partners. For example, Chase's UR program does not appeal to me because I mainly fly Delta. I also don't stay in hotels, I'm in my mid-20's and stay in hostels when I travel. I never fly United, so the only reason I'd get the Sapphire Preferred/United card is if I wanted to fly on United's partners, such as SWISS Air, an airline I do fly. So other than when I go for big sign up bonuses in the future, I'll keep it within AmEx/Membership Rewards, so I can transfer them to Delta.

Message 6 of 22
driftless
Valued Contributor

DW and I both use the Chase ecosystem for points, we think that it makes sense to focus on one program. We also have Cap One cards but we use those as our second bank, cash back, Cap One will always be with you, thank you for helping us rebuild, Cap One cards.

Post-Script: we are heavily invest in United.  Million mile flyers decades ago.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 7 of 22
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

I orginally put all my eggs in one basket which was Chase with the CSP and Freedom but decided a while into my first year with the CSP I rather go with TY Points and got the TY premier this year.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This depends on many many things.

My current go-to cards are SPG since they are worth about 3 cents per point, which outweighs the double cash for general spend.  If amex isn't accepted I use the amtrak.

I was kinda focusing a little extra non category on the Sams Club but after all this synch stuff, I will only use it for travel dining and gas.

If I book a hotel direct, I use amtrak.

I am pretty good on MR points right now so just minor things from time to time.

I would say for most people if they have rotating category cards they should use up all those first, especially if they get great value with redemption or partner transfers.

For OP, it would depend on your amount of spend and travel habits.  If you can get great value out of UR, above 2 cents a point then that is what you should be using most.

Since I have well into six figures with amex MR points, I am using those for uber rides.  And luckily I get 1 spg point per dollar spent on top of that. So even though I am only getting 1cpp in value on the MR, I am simultaneously earning SPG points. (errrr at least I hope so?!)

Message 9 of 22
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

I put all my spend on my Prestige , Premier , AA , & Virgin America cards.

the Thank You Points just works better for me. And the transfer partners ....

Thank You Transfer Partners :

Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

Virgin America Elevate

Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus

Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Qantas Frequent Flyer

Malaysia Airlines Enrich

Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer

Flying Blue

Etihad Gues

EVA Air Infinity MileageLands

Asia Miles

Hilton HHonors Worldwide

Virgin America Transfer Partners : 

Memebership Rewards

Thank You Points

SPG

Virgin Atlantic

Virgin Australia 

Hawaiian Airlines

Singapore Airlines

Emirates Airlines

i also use the AA & VIrgin  America shopping portal to SCORE more points.

the only thing I buy out the actual physical store is food and perishable items.

everything like clothes, stuff from Walmart , to tires for my car, all bought thru 

shopping portals.

when shopping the AA portal I pay with my AA card for added miles 

when shopping thru Virgin America portal I pay with my VA card for added miles.

cash cards I use for cash back is Freedom and Ink Cash and discover for catogory spend.

sometimes I'll use QS too.

this is how I rack up MY points/Miles

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.