cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you remember to pay your CC on time?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do you remember to pay your CC on time?

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

Good thread! I have 3 cards, which is the most I've ever had in life. I just went to Cap1 and Barclay's and set up the e-mail reminder when I'm getting close to my due date. But I typically send in a payment immediately after a purchase just to be safe.

How do you all pay your credit card bills? Do you give the cc company your bank info/routing numbers and transfer money in directly? Or do you send checks through your bank? I've been sending in checks but think I'm going to just start transferring it in.

Most of them I have "pulled" from the CC site but a few I "push" through my bank's online bill pay.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 31 of 74
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I have almost all my bills on autopay:  credit cards, mortgage, health insurance, utilities, car payment.......everything that can be put on autopay is on it.  A few bills like homeowners maintenance fee, yearly insurance payment, etc is manual.  I'm amazed at the OC behaviour people show in managing their financial affairs.  Do not let your bills rule your life, that is not the purpose of life.

Message 32 of 74
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Watchman, What does "OC" mean in your sentence?

Thanks.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 33 of 74
casmith1980
Established Contributor

obsessive compulsive Smiley Wink

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 34 of 74
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Okay, that makes sense. That's what I'm trying to avoid, but the penalty for being just one day late is so severe that I think it kind of makes you like that. Smiley Happy

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 35 of 74
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Exactly!  And that's one of the reasons I am how I am with regards to the bills.

I handle all the bills in my house which includes DHs CCs, my CCs, both car loans, rent payment and all utilities.  I'm anal about my spreadsheet and am also VERY proud of it.  I've put a lot of time to have it reflect EVERYTHING I need it to Smiley Happy

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 36 of 74
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I am flagrantly and triumphantly adult ADHD, and I have devised a lot of techniques to help me function in life. (And very nicely, I might add.) I consider ADHD an alternative way of perceiving the world, and a positive one, not a disability, and one that is actually helpful in many situations. ADHD'ers who have figured it out are the ultimate multi-taskers! Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I tend to rely on visual reminders of things to do. So I keep my work desk relentlessly clean, and I have maybe three projects max in my inbox to work on, so that I can keep my priorities straight. Calendars don't work worth a flip for me, I'm afraid. Smiley Tongue

So for CC payment scheduling, I bookmarked (added to Favorites) all my CC's, listing them in order of expected statement date, as I try to pay off my balances before the statement drops. Every single time I get on my laptop, I click on the Bookmarks (= Mac, Favorites for Windows), and check the drop-down, noting the dates:

screenshot of statement dates.jpg

(Yes, I have too many cards, and it's a PITA.)

At any rate, there they all are, lined up by dates, and every morning I'm reminded of what's coming up. I don't necessarily have to do anything that morning, but I am reminded of what's coming.

I wouldn't even begin to recommend this for most people, but I can promise you that most ADHD'ers (and many others) do NOT work well with the sober recommendations to put everything on a spreadsheet or whatever. This particular technique works for me, and it might work for some other members; if so, go for it.

The name of the game in everything in life is finding what works for YOU and for your way of doing things, and not beat yourself up because the more common methods might not be best for you. Learn how your brain works, and do what makes it work best for you. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 37 of 74
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Hauling, That is a very clever way of keeping track! I'd be totally overwhelmed if I had to keep track of all of the cards you do! OMG. Just one more reason to SD and cancel my two Cap Ones, respectively. Geez, just thinking about keeping track of the pmts is making me nervous. Smiley Happy

I think I want to be sure I have a backup plan. Still figuring out how it will work best for me. Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 74
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well see, there you go, good for you! It's all about discovering a comfort level that actually works for you.

Good luck!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 39 of 74
sybo40
Regular Contributor

COMPLETELY AGREE with you on this one!  I have a simple spredsheet that shows how much I have coming in per pay period and how much I'm paying out for each card.  Once every week, I schedule the payment online (myself), write it in my checkbook, and then check to make sure that the payment actually POSTED.  ONLY THEN do I mark it in my spreadsheet as paid.   I pay SOME (not ALL) of them at LEAST TWO WEEKS IN ADVACE OF the due date.  It reminds me that a) I HAVE to check every week; and b) no matter HOW automated we THINK things are, I HAVE to be responsible for my own actions because the CCCs won't care; they LOVE IT when people throw money at them (in late fees and interest).  Man Happy

I don't like autopay (been hit with two to three payments at once because of a "computer glitch." (RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!)

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: TU: 656; EQ: 607; EX: 642
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.