Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use your Chase Freedom?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you use your Chase Freedom?

Bonus category only. Crappy limit and I don't have a CSP.
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

It WAS our daily driver for years because it had the best limit and was marginally better than TY Pref which was second. 

Now, use it for category spend. I had SD'd it this quarter, but then I realize we'll be doing more than the SM max on gas. So I left DH's SD'd and I'll use it for gas. 

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used it to pay my May eBay fees and get my $200 in free money. Now it sits idle.

Message 23 of 27
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I use it mainly for the 5% categories and as a back up (Sallie Mae is my main card). Probably will get minimal use the rest of the year sadly. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was my first card so it essentially replaced my debit card; used it for everything. Fast forward two months, I get a card at my school's CU and it briefly replaces my Freedom since I thought 1.1% back was better. About a month later, I realized that 1% in UR will probably be more rewarding that 1.1% in straight cash back in the future so Freedom becomes my go-to card once again. Fast forward about eight months, Discover starts running its 2x promo and the Freedom is replaced once more. 10% categories 2% everything else just trumps the Freedom. Still carry the Freedom though in the rare instances Discover isn't accepted. Will also use it for the categories (although is is pretty useless this quarter as I don't shop at Khol's or drive). It'll probably be my main card once again after Discover's promo runs out, but I hope to get a better all-around card by then.

As a side note, bummer how Discover + Freedom's 5% on restaurants overlapped last quarter... Would've loved to have had 5% on restaurants for half a year...

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Currently using it for day to day spend since I consistently redeem UR for 2 cents per point. For me it's a 2% card with 10% on gas and 0% APR until late next year. Love it.

How do you do that?

thanks for all the replies!

Transferred the UR from Freedom to CSP, then to an airline frequent flier program (in my case United) and redeemed them for tickets to Paris. 60,000 points for a $1,200 ticket = 2 cents per point. One point per dollar * 2 cents per point = 2% cashback when used this way.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strictly going to use it for bonus categories.

On its own I think it's a pretty average card but it does shine when I use it alongside my CSP as the UR can be pooled together.

I use it as a points multiplier basically.

I don't understand why people use it as a primary card for everything though, unless thats all you have...

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.