Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use your Delta Skymiles

tag
drboxing
Established Contributor

How do you use your Delta Skymiles

Interested in knowing from those who’ve earned Delta Skymiles through Amex Delta card how did I you utilize those points/miles. Do u the miles for free tickets etc?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: How do you use your Delta Skymiles

The worst use is MagsforMiles (magazine subscriptions). When I travelled once a year I would get the mailer that I could get a magazine subscription for so many points and wasted many points that way. This was back in the day when I belonged to Delta's reward program but had very few points.

Currently, I have used them for flights as well as to upgrade a coach fare (work will not pay for first class but I can upgrade after the purchase) to first class. You really need to go to a travel forum to get advice on getting the best deal.

If you do not have the travel need, most programs will let you donate them to charity.

Message 2 of 14
drboxing
Established Contributor

I usually fly AA but have flown Delta in the past. Just trying to see if it’s worth it. Thanks. I’ll search a travel Forum

Message 3 of 14
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Use the miles only for flights or for upgrades.  Don't use them for hotels, rental cars, merchandise, magazine subscriptions, etc.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 14
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

I only use them for international flights and book Delta One. It seems to give the best value.
Message 5 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Mostly close-in domestic awards when the cash prices get a bit high and there's "lowest fare" award availability.

Premium seats for international flights are often a better value, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are they transferable?
Message 7 of 14
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Are they transferable?

No, Delta miles are not transferable.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 14
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I travel domestically and redeem miles when I can get 2 cents a piece for them for airfare. If I can't get that I will buy the plane ticket and save my miles for later. I would say I am able to redeem points on roughly half my flights.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no 'need' to get the maximum value out of my points. If I see a gift card that I want or if I feel like getting some random thing from their Skymiles catalog then I'll get it because it's free money either way. I recently used my remaining United miles for magazines because I didn't have enough to get anything interesting and didn't feel like losing them, now I have a bunch of random reading material.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.