cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does AMEX determine spending limit on NPSL cards?

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

How does AMEX determine spending limit on NPSL cards?

I have an AMEX Green and an AMEX Platinum.  I checked the spending limits on both today and they both approved for 30,000.  How does AMEX determine that?

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: How does AMEX determine spending limit on NPSL cards?

Your income, spending history, patterns, etc. mostly income. The more u make the more u can spend.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 18
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

It also seems the more you spend the more you can spend. 

Message 3 of 18
LesWH
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

It also seems the more you spend the more you can spend. 

I have never spent any where near that!  I actually just put it in to see what would happen.  When it was approved for the Green, I tried the same number for the Platinum and it was approved as well.  I could never spend that much in a month!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

Message 4 of 18
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

@scenery

Hahaha. I don't know why your statement made me laugh.

I believe it to be true though.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 5 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

They have confidence in you paying back 30k if u ever use it. Most likely, because of your income.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 18
LesWH
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
They have confidence in you paying back 30k if u ever use it. Most likely, because of your income.

I don't have expenses to equal that!  although if I did, my income does support me being able to pay it back, but damn!  they must really trust me!! I opened the Green in October of 2012, and the Platinum in Jan of this year.....Ive used both and paid them off, of course.  The max I've spent in a month is 5 grand, though...

Message 7 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

See Smiley Tongue they know u can pay it back like u said.
They give u as high as possible CL where they have a very high confidence of you being able to pay back, with the hopes that you might eventually use this much, or for that once in a while opportunity where you have to use this much. It's a good amount of money for them just from swipe fees.

Rarely anyone defaults on a charge card too, that's why.
Message 8 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

The have a huge database of people's purchases and payment history. They merge that in with a soft pull (I'll bet they softed you - they did me) and if the statistics are highly likely you will pay they will approve. They did with me on a recent 60k actual purchase. 

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 18
LesWH
Established Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

The have a huge database of people's purchases and payment history. They merge that in with a soft pull (I'll bet they softed you - they did me) and if the statistics are highly likely you will pay they will approve. They did with me on a recent 60k actual purchase. 

They soft me ALL the time!!!  Initially, I was getting paranoid with the amount of times they have softed me Experian report!!  I have about 150,000 dollars now in available credit, not counting their NPSL cards.  I don't need them in the least, but I use them because I like to have to pay my bill in full each month.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.