cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does AMEX determine spending limit on NPSL cards?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: How does AMEX determine spending limit on NPSL cards?

I wish I can get even 1/5 of the love they are showering you. Hopefully, I get there in the future Smiley Very Happy
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

The have a huge database of people's purchases and payment history. They merge that in with a soft pull (I'll bet they softed you - they did me) and if the statistics are highly likely you will pay they will approve. They did with me on a recent 60k actual purchase. 

They soft me ALL the time!!!  Initially, I was getting paranoid with the amount of times they have softed me Experian report!!  I have about 150,000 dollars now in available credit, not counting their NPSL cards.  I don't need them in the least, but I use them because I like to have to pay my bill in full each month.

That;s the great thing about Amex. They are super flexible on spending. My total CLs are only just over 50k and the approved a greater spend than that.  You can't beat Amex for spend flexibility.  Of course you do have to pay it and it can be a big chunk.  The soft me every 3 months or so but on that date they softed TU which is rare. The periodic ones were EX.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 12 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

Not exactly sure, but I agree with many people who have posted in this topic that Amex bases part of the limit on the overall spending pattern through credit cards. Experian, Amex's preferred' CRA, provides a lot of useful information such as the amount of monthly payment made toward each account. If you figure out that a person typically spends 2-3k through credit cards and always pays off the balance before the statement closing date, you'll know that this person is not only financially stable but also very knowledge and cautious about credit cards in general. The limit for such a person can go as high as the sky. But Amex also regularly and closely monitors your card activities, and will take measures against you if they detect any sign of fraud. Charging 20k on an Amex while regularly spending 2-3k per month is one example of suspicious activities. So don't abuse the limit Man Wink

Message 13 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Just curious, does experian report my total payment on each card each month? Or just my last payment for each card?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 18
LesWH
Established Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Not exactly sure, but I agree with many people who have posted in this topic that Amex bases part of the limit on the overall spending pattern through credit cards. Experian, Amex's preferred' CRA, provides a lot of useful information such as the amount of monthly payment made toward each account. If you figure out that a person typically spends 2-3k through credit cards and always pays off the balance before the statement closing date, you'll know that this person is not only financially stable but also very knowledge and cautious about credit cards in general. The limit for such a person can go as high as the sky. But Amex also regularly and closely monitors your card activities, and will take measures against you if they detect any sign of fraud. Charging 20k on an Amex while regularly spending 2-3k per month is one example of suspicious activities. So don't abuse the limit Man Wink

I would NEVER spend anywhere near what they are saying I could spend.  My monthly expenses are around 2500.00 per month, and I stay there unless I do something extra, which is never more than a few thousand dollars more than what my regular expenses are.  I usually pay whatever I charge within a week of charging it, because I DON'T want to be in debt.  I have a 20,000 PenFed card and a 25,000 NFCU card that will NEVER see any action close to that.  I wanted to have available credit in case I ever need it.  Unless hell has frozen over, I would never use it!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 15 of 18
BearOSO
Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Just curious, does experian report my total payment on each card each month? Or just my last payment for each card?

I have the same question. I am under the impression it is just your last payment for each card, now I am second-guessing...can someone clarify?

Message 16 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@LesWH wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I would NEVER spend anywhere near what they are saying I could spend.  My monthly expenses are around 2500.00 per month, and I stay there unless I do something extra, which is never more than a few thousand dollars more than what my regular expenses are.  I usually pay whatever I charge within a week of charging it, because I DON'T want to be in debt.  I have a 20,000 PenFed card and a 25,000 NFCU card that will NEVER see any action close to that.  I wanted to have available credit in case I ever need it.  Unless hell has frozen over, I would never use it!!

Is it a coincidence that you're exactly the type of consumer I describe in my post? Cat Wink

Message 17 of 18
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

It also seems the more you spend the more you can spend. 

I have never spent any where near that!  I actually just put it in to see what would happen.  When it was approved for the Green, I tried the same number for the Platinum and it was approved as well.  I could never spend that much in a month!

If you ever did start spending large (let's say work expenses that will be reimbursed etc.) you will see it go up even higher month to month. It's mind boggling to an extent. I just tested mine and on my personal gold I entered $40,000 and it was approved. I didn't try a higher amount as I don't know if they monitor that stuff. I entered $60,000 on my business platinum and got the "too large for online approval" screen. I backed out and tried $50,000 and was approved. Six months ago I could only do $15,000 on gold and $20,000 on platinum so it has grown quite a bit. Worth mentioning I do almost all my spending on these cards unless I am meeting a required spend for bonus points on a new card. I have tapped nearly $50,000 on the platinum once before (not one charge but many smaller ones). 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.