cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does AMEX feel about using the Plan It feature?

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

How does AMEX feel about using the Plan It feature?

Curious how it affects your account. Is it viewed as negative? I have some large travel purchases and considering using it.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Veronik2019
Contributor

Re: How does AMEX feel about using the Plan It feature?

I mean it is there for you to use. And you are foreseeing carrying a balance, the plan it feature could cost you less than your APR on your card. 2 things i have noticed since being on it. You wont be eligible for credit limit increases if you have a plan it on any card. But also, I havent gotten charged an annual fee on my Delta Gold nor my Amex Gold for the past 2 years. Im on a plan it since Dec 2020 for 24 months. It will be up next month and annual fees are up on February. I kinda want to get on a few hundred dollar plan for Christmas to slip the annual fee. 👀 

Message 2 of 14
Dadof31978
New Contributor

@tussking wrote:

Curious how it affects your account. Is it viewed as negative? I have some large travel purchases and considering using it.

what do you mean how does it feel? it's a bank...they have no feelings...if it's available to you, there has to be a reason why....bigger issue why would you buy travel purchases if you don't have the money to pay for it...that's a bigger concern I'd have...

Message 3 of 14
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

@Dadof31978 wrote:

@tussking wrote:

what do you mean how does it feel? it's a bank...they have no feelings...if it's available to you, there has to be a reason why....bigger issue why would you buy travel purchases if you don't have the money to pay for it...that's a bigger concern I'd have...

Aren't you saying the same thing as the OP? Youre saying the concern on Amex's part would be why someone is making a large travel purchase for which fhey don't have the cash. The OP is, as I understand it, asking the same thing...whether Amex would view that as negative and whether it would affect an ongoing relationship. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 4 of 14
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

I've had nine different plans spread out over two AMEX cards for a few months before paying them completely off. They don't care. As long as you make all your payments on time and stay under your Pay Over Time limit. Just remember that if you are going to use your Pay Over Time feature, that you DO NOT pay off anything before your statement closes.

Last update: 4/8/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 5 of 14
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@Veronik2019 wrote:

I mean it is there for you to use. And you are foreseeing carrying a balance, the plan it feature could cost you less than your APR on your card. 2 things i have noticed since being on it. You wont be eligible for credit limit increases if you have a plan it on any card. But also, I havent gotten charged an annual fee on my Delta Gold nor my Amex Gold for the past 2 years. Im on a plan it since Dec 2020 for 24 months. It will be up next month and annual fees are up on February. I kinda want to get on a few hundred dollar plan for Christmas to slip the annual fee. 👀 

These are interesting DPs. I'm not sure why Plan It would impact CLIs or the AF. Has anyone else experienced this while using Plan It? 

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 6 of 14
uncredited
Frequent Contributor

Following with some interest as it's a feature I'd consider using, especially with the 0% promo.

Also curious if the sudden spike in util would send other lenders' radars off.

Message 7 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@TheRedHat wrote:

I've had nine different plans spread out over two AMEX cards for a few months before paying them completely off. They don't care. As long as you make all your payments on time and stay under your Pay Over Time limit. Just remember that if you are going to use your Pay Over Time feature, that you DO NOT pay off anything before your statement closes.

Curious as to why you advise not paying off anything before statement closes.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I've commented on this topic many times in the past. It seems whether it throws up a red flag is dependant on your profile. In my case, I paid in full for 2 years on all my Amex and I have a dirty profile. Been unable to get a CLI on my Delta cards. Thought I would shake things up by setting up a plan. Paid it off in 2 months because it made me uneasy. My feelings were right. Amex gave me a hard limit on my gold within a month or so. I'd have to look it up because I don't remember the dates exactly, but made 70k and I believe I had no debt at the time other than my car loan iirc. I believe it threw up a red flag and the computer took AA thinking I might be under financial strain. There are others on here that had a similar experience. There's also many others that have used it without any issues whatsoever. Those that have had AA had less than stellar credit which leads me to believe that any negative reaction is profile dependant. 

Message 9 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@TheRedHat wrote:

Curious as to why you advise not paying off anything before statement closes.

Because if you pay more than the adjusted balance to pay down non-plan charges, the excess goess to the plans. For example, if you have 500 in plans and charge an additional 500. Your adjusted balance could be 100 plus the plan payments and fees. If you paid an additional 400 for the rest of the non-plan balance before statement close, it would instead pay down your plans to 100 and your next bill would be 400, plus new charges, plan payments and fees. This is actually one of the reasons I paid my plan early. I didn't realize this would happen and ended up with a 1300 bill, thinking I had paid off my non-plan charges. At that point I just paid everything off a couple of weeks after paying the bill. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.