cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does AMEX feel about using the Plan It feature?

tag
Suzette2
Frequent Contributor

Re: How does AMEX feel about using the Plan It feature?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@TheRedHat wrote:

I've had nine different plans spread out over two AMEX cards for a few months before paying them completely off. They don't care. As long as you make all your payments on time and stay under your Pay Over Time limit. Just remember that if you are going to use your Pay Over Time feature, that you DO NOT pay off anything before your statement closes.

Curious as to why you advise not paying off anything before statement closes.

Yea, that was a head scratcher for me as well.  I've used the 'plan it' on my BCP a few times- paying off early, ALWAYS.  I've gotten CLI's and they always send something saying it is paid.  I don't think it matters if you always pay them and have good income

6/20 :12/22 :
Message 11 of 14
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

I used it extensively and was rewarded by them cutting my POT limit from 15k to 3600. I promptly paid it off and cancelled the card.  They also cut my Personal Marriott from 9600 to 3k and that one had no balance. Cancelled that one.  Saved $800 in annual fees and never felt better.

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 12 of 14
uncredited
Frequent Contributor

I notice most of the discussion around them not liking it seem to be related to the charge cards.  I wonder if there's any DP on if they dislike it on charge (and balance in general) but don't have issues on revolvers (which ostensibly are intended for balance carrying to begin with.)

Following with large curiosity as, for me, little actual spend would go on my bce, 500/mo or so for category, but that means it would be a very useful card to use for lower interest financing of larger purchases.  So it's a major feature on it for me as I could see myself using it now and then as a dedicated plan card when category is used up. Once the limit grows enough.  But.... Not if it sabotages the relationship.

Message 13 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@uncredited wrote:

I notice most of the discussion around them not liking it seem to be related to the charge cards.  I wonder if there's any DP on if they dislike it on charge (and balance in general) but don't have issues on revolvers (which ostensibly are intended for balance carrying to begin with.)

Following with large curiosity as, for me, little actual spend would go on my bce, 500/mo or so for category, but that means it would be a very useful card to use for lower interest financing of larger purchases.  So it's a major feature on it for me as I could see myself using it now and then as a dedicated plan card when category is used up. Once the limit grows enough.  But.... Not if it sabotages the relationship.

FWIW, all the $0 fee Plan It promos I've gotten have been on revolvers. I'm not sure if that's typical.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.