Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does AMEX respond to ID theft?

tag
jackg
Established Contributor

How does AMEX respond to ID theft?

On October 16, I got a call from AMEX fraud prevention dept. They said they wanted to confirm some personal information related to an account I had just opened. So many red flags went up in my head I almost expired on the spot!!

First, I said "How do I know you're from AMEX?" He said he didn't expect me to believe him but that I should go to AMEX.com, find the customer service number and call them and explain what has just happened. I did that and, come to find out someone had used my info to open an account. Fraud dept took over and all was good.

Next I called EX to report ID fraud and they contacted EQ & TU to advise them.

After I got settled down I called AMEX again to see what they planned to do about the hard inquiry that was now on my credit report and here's where my question comes in: Does anyone have experience with this type thing and how did AMEX respond?

Thanks

PS: I filed CH 7 in 2006 so I guess it's a falsehood that AMEX blackballs people for life because of BK

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does AMEX respond to ID theft?

@jackg wrote:

On October 16, I got a call from AMEX fraud prevention dept. They said they wanted to confirm some personal information related to an account I had just opened. So many red flags went up in my head I almost expired on the spot!!

First, I said "How do I know you're from AMEX?" He said he didn't expect me to believe him but that I should go to AMEX.com, find the customer service number and call them and explain what has just happened. I did that and, come to find out someone had used my info to open an account. Fraud dept took over and all was good.

Next I called EX to report ID fraud and they contacted EQ & TU to advise them.

After I got settled down I called AMEX again to see what they planned to do about the hard inquiry that was now on my credit report and here's where my question comes in: Does anyone have experience with this type thing and how did AMEX respond?

Thanks

PS: I filed CH 7 in 2006 so I guess it's a falsehood that AMEX blackballs people for life because of BK

I got the same call and verified it was AMEX by having my Wife call in at the same time on the PRG number and ask about it.

Verified some info about the 2 accounts I opened recently and was good to go.

Message 2 of 6
jackg
Established Contributor

It took a while but Ifinally got a letter from AMEX telling me to send a copy to all CRA's. It says Ihad nothing to do with the inquiry, approval, address, phone number and account number that were results of the inquiry.

I sent the copies out and now I'm waiting for responses. All in all I think AMEX did their part to exonerate me of any activity in the matter.

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 3 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

The quickest way to have it removed is to contact the CB directly and tell them you were not the one that requested the inquiry. I had that happen to me and I just contacted the CB and it was off my report the next day and they added a fraud alert on there.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 6
jackg
Established Contributor

Established Contributor
ojefferyo

The quickest way to have it removed is to contact the CB directly and tell them you were not the one that requested the inquiry. I had that happen to me and I just contacted the CB and it was off my report the next day and they added a fraud alert on there.

Amex PRG (with an option to carry), Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Capitol One Plat. MC, Sony Visa, Barclay Rewards MC, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Bank AmeriCard Cash Rewards, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit

I certainly don't doubt what you just said, however, in the past when I've tried to talk with someone at any CB it's been almost impossible, unless they called me. Secondly, I have never heard of anyone (other than you) who has contacted a CB and told them they "didn't do it" and have them delete it, much less doing it the next day.

Like I said, I don't doubt what you said because everyone's experiences are different but I've never heard of it before. Maybe it's happened to others and they could chime in.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked for you.

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 5 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Someone pulled a report from a mortgage company, that MAY be a different situation than pulling for credit cards. It's YMMV thing I suppose

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.