cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Chase view Amex charge cards on credit reports?

tag
cupofcoffee
New Contributor

How does Chase view Amex charge cards on credit reports?

Hi everyone

I currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred with a 5k limit that I got in April using my ITIN (I am a nonresident). I'd like to have the option to upgrade to the Sapphire Reserve after a year, and I know the minimum CL needed is 10k. I know Chase doesn't like being your highest limit lender, and the only other card I have with a high 'limit' is my Amex Gold charge card, which has a Pay Over Time limit of 8k. Does anyone know if Chase factors charge cards in when deciding whether to grant a CLI? I have a feeling that I was only barely approved, so I'm wondering if they took a chance by looking at my other revolving cards, and ignoring my charge card. The other cards I have are an Amex Cash Magnet, my first US card, with a $3100 limit (that only reports to Experian after disappearing from the other bureaus, seemingly because I applied using my foreign passport before I got an ITIN, amex added ITIN but said an SSN is needed to reinsert the card into credit reports), a Petal Visa card with $750 limit, and an HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard with a limit of $1250. The Amex charge card and CSP are my main cards. Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy 

11 REPLIES 11
boosnark
Contributor

Re: How does Chase view Amex charge cards on credit reports?

I certainly have not of heard of Chase caring about the other companies with which an applicant has credit, apart from reviewing the usual standard stuff such as your identity, credit history, income, no. of previous inquiries, credit utilization, etc. If you're authorized to work in the US then I would strongly suggest applying for a social security number, if at all possible. It makes establishing a credit history so much easier. An ITIN is temporary, and would have to be renewed at some point if you are currently non-resident. You are off to a good start with the Amex Gold and CSP - the Sapphire Reserve can certainly wait, it is nice to have but comes at a steep cost unless you're planning to utilize most of the travel-related benefits.

Gardening until November 1, 2023
Message 2 of 12
cupofcoffee
New Contributor

Thanks for the info! I'm not authorised to work in the US, so I can't get an SSN. An ITIN expires for tax purposes but if you just use it for ID/information filing it can be used past the expiration date, since you're assigned the same one for life/until you get an SSN.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/itin-expiration-faqs

'Q8: I only use my ITIN on information returns, like Forms 1099. If my ITIN is expiring, do I need to renew it?

A8: No, if your ITIN is only used on information returns and you will not be filing a tax return or claim for refund you do not need to renew your ITIN.'

Message 3 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@cupofcoffee wrote:

Hi everyone

I currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred with a 5k limit that I got in April using my ITIN (I am a nonresident). I'd like to have the option to upgrade to the Sapphire Reserve after a year, and I know the minimum CL needed is 10k. I know Chase doesn't like being your highest limit lender, and the only other card I have with a high 'limit' is my Amex Gold charge card, which has a Pay Over Time limit of 8k. Does anyone know if Chase factors charge cards in when deciding whether to grant a CLI? I have a feeling that I was only barely approved, so I'm wondering if they took a chance by looking at my other revolving cards, and ignoring my charge card. The other cards I have are an Amex Cash Magnet, my first US card, with a $3100 limit (that only reports to Experian after disappearing from the other bureaus, seemingly because I applied using my foreign passport before I got an ITIN, amex added ITIN but said an SSN is needed to reinsert into credit reports), a Petal Visa card with $750 limit, and an HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard with a limit of $1250. The Amex charge card and CSP are my main cards. Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy 

It's not about Chase giving you your first highest limit, it's about the fact CSR has minimum $10K limit requirement. 

Chase not wanting to be the one to give you highest limit is a myth, and you are a good example of that, because CSP is your highest limit, and almost a double compared to your Cash Magnet. 

Unless you receive auto CLI, which is possible with high use, and also because $5000.00 on CSP is "squeezed in" there is certainly room for growth. 

You are more likely to get a CLI if they start you on the lower end.

In the absence of auto CLI, you would need to request a CLI. 

Customer requested CLIs are hit and miss, so it might work on a first try, or you may need a couple of HPs to bring it where you need it for PC. 

Message 4 of 12
cupofcoffee
New Contributor

Great, thanks for the info!

Message 5 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Chase gave me my highest limit card by far around 5 years ago.

Message 6 of 12
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Chase CSP was also my highest limit card at the minimum 5K when first opened.  I have not been aggressive with CLI requests and have had the account now for almost 5 years.  I tried for CSR before I knew about 5/24 (I opened 5 cards in 2016) and was denied for too many accounts in a short period of time.   In retrospect I don't think unless you are a hardcore traveler that the CSR is going to buy you anything over the CSP so I would just show a good history with the CSP, make sure you are below 5/24 and if you do feel like you want to apply for the CSR in a year give it a shot if you think your scores/profie can support a 10K limit. 

Message 7 of 12
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@cupofcoffee wrote:

I currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred with a 5k limit

I'd like to have the option to upgrade to the Sapphire Reserve after a year, and I know the minimum CL needed is 10k.

I know Chase doesn't like being your highest limit lender

Does anyone know if Chase factors charge cards in when deciding whether to grant a CLI?

The other cards I have

• Amex Cash Magnet $3100 limit
  • Petal Visa card with $750 limit
  • HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard $1250 limit
  • Amex (Gold) charge card (PoT $8000 limit)

Agreed that you can't emphatically say that "Bank A" doesn't like to be your highest lender, including Chase.  That said, most lenders do tend to fall into a general pattern when issuing credit limits.  There will be a spread but for the majority of lenders in most cases, they tend to fall in a general range.   Most lenders apparently feel more comfortable approving limits close to what you've shown you can handle and that your finances will support.  If you have five cards with limits of $5K to $10K, the odds of approval for a $35K SL are obviously low, for example.   Outliers are always possible, such as the frequent high-limit Navy FCU approvals absent other higher limits.  With longevity and regular use, a card can grow to high limits much higher than your other accounts.   My oldest accounts are among my highest limits, including my $50K Discover and $70K Bank of America Cash Rewards, neither of which has seen usage near those limits but are over 20 years old. 

I recently suggested another member with a younger profile apply for a CSR instead of a CSP because he already had a Chase INK card with $10K limit getting heavy monthly spend-and-pay usage.  I thought he was a shoo-in for either card and thought he should consider the higher benefits of the CSR.  Not only did he have the $10K limit but he already had a track record at that level with Chase.  Instead, he was turned down for CSR but was able to reconcile into a lower-limit CSP.  Your profile reminds me of his with three other credit cards (including one with Chase) and a car loan.   So Chase (MAY) feel comfortable upgrading you to $10K limit with CSR after one year, or they may want to see more time.

I can tell you this:  Chase tends to reward longevity and usage when it comes to limits.  Regular and responsible use of your CSP will increase your odds of getting a higher limit and successful conversion to CSR.  That will probably count for a lot more when it comes to a CLI to $10K with Chase than whatever your limits on other cards.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 12
cupofcoffee
New Contributor

Awesome thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I'd read a lot on these forums and Reddit that Chase doesn't seem to be comfortable extending your first 'high limit' card, so I think I had kind of taken that as gospel lol. Glad to hear it isn't always the case!

Message 9 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@cupofcoffee wrote:

Awesome thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I'd read a lot on these forums and Reddit that Chase doesn't seem to be comfortable extending your first 'high limit' card, so I think I had kind of taken that as gospel lol. Glad to hear it isn't always the case!

Some myths just won't die regardless of how many examples of the opposite are there.

Chase might be your highest, lowest or somewhere in the middle...just like any other lender. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.