cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Discover deliver new credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does Discover deliver new credit cards?

I'm expecting my new Discover It card to arrive in the next couple of days Smiley Happy . I'd been expecting it to arrive via regular first-class mail, but just a few minutes ago I got an odd notification from the USPS that a first-class package is coming my way from Salt Lake City, Utah and should be delivered tomorrow (it's already at my local post office but arrived too late for today's rounds). I wasn't expecting anything from Utah, but I got a hunch and looked it up on Google to see if there was any correlation, and apparently Discover maintains key offices in Salt Lake City.

Do they mail new cards out to accountholders from there, and if so, it is usual for them to put them under USPS tracking numbers? I appreciate their going to the extra bit for service if this is in fact what I think it is Smiley Happy, but this is the first time I remember any credit-card or debit-card issuer sending me new cards with a tracking number; everyone else seems to do it via regular first-class USPS mail without bothering to obtain a tracking number.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does Discover deliver new credit cards?

Yes. It comes in a package where you need to sign for. iirc
Message 2 of 29
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

My Discover card was mailed USPS Priority with  tracking info.  Can't remember where exactly it was mailed from though.

Message 3 of 29
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, Discover ships a small box from Utah. Their "welcome package" is nicer than most in that it's not just a plain white envelope with a card glued to a piece of paper with your cardmember agreement.
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thanks. I actually hope I don't need to sign for the envelope or package since I live by myself and the mail delivery usually comes when I'm still at work or on the way home, so I wouldn't be able to get to the post office until Saturday to pick it up if that were the case. I always feel kind of nervous when high-value items are going around by mail or delivery service; last month, I had a real conniption fit when Penfed sent their used-car loan checks via FedEx - without requiring a signature; the driver left it at my door! That was $10,000+ worth of checks and I was terrified all the way home that somebody would come along and pinch the envelope (fortunately it was there safe and sound). Ideally, I hope the envelope or package is small enough to fit into my mailbox, problem solved!

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I am remembering it does come in a package with tracking, but you do not need to be home to sign for it. Discover has some of the best packing in my opinion (looks wise). 

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I am remembering it does come in a package with tracking, but you do not need to be home to sign for it. Discover has some of the best packing in my opinion (looks wise). 

Sounds good! I guess I'm just a bit nutty this week over trying to figure out what I have in transit; UPS tried to deliver something that I had to sign for on Saturday (but I wasn't home and their only alternate pickup location is at a point I can't conveniently get to, so I had to have it redirected to my work address) and I was actually wondering if it was the Discover package until I remembered that I'd asked my cable TV provider (Comcast) to send me an upgraded cable box/DVR a couple of days previously. Smiley Tongue Now I've got to schlep the dad-gummed thing back 30 miles by train whenever it arrives at my office... (rolls eyes)

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

mine came in a silvery cardboard envelope/box thing. Definitely better presentation than most cards.

Did not need to sign for anything - I came home from work and it was just in the regular mail.

Message 8 of 29
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Really?  I thought all I got was an envelope.  A nicer envelope than other companies, but just an envelope.  My replacement cards come in envelopes from what I remember.  Maybe I just don't remember the first card and how it arrived, but I thought it was less than what others were getting, but better than other banks were doing.  Either way I don't care how Discover does it, all I care about is that they love me!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

mine came in a silvery cardboard envelope/box thing. Definitely better presentation than most cards.

Did not need to sign for anything - I came home from work and it was just in the regular mail.

Same here

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.