Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Macy's handle CLIs?

tag
Brusilov
Established Contributor

How does Macy's handle CLIs?

Last time I had a statement my limit was reported at $100.  Today I was getting some wedding gifts off a registry and went over that...decided to try my Macy's card anyway and it went through.  Do they usually give you an incremental CLI of the hard limit on the card, or is it just more of a case-by-case basis and temporary?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does Macy's handle CLIs?

All the above and more...  Macy's started my limit at $300, about a year later I called and requested a $700 increase.  The CSR told me that was not high enough, when they tried to fill the reqest.  I got a $1200 increase, recently I made a charge and when I got my statement they increased it another $200. 

Now I remember reading or hearing some line when it comes to Macy's card, that the limit is not really a limit, but...  sorry this is where my memory fades.  I would believe that it is more like the Visa Signature card I have read about in posts.  There is no limit, but another amount charged over the limit must be repaid on the first statement.

Just my theory and an effort to help you or someone else have a little food for thought  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 19
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

It's a guideline limit.  If you go over the credit limit, it's up to the store to determine if the sale will go through.  You can probably call them to see if they can up your limit so you're not upside down on it.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 3 of 19
2NE1
Established Contributor

interesting info. I've had my card since '07 with $200CL, their bank took AA in '09 and CLD to $100. Since then whenever I shop in stores and happen to be spending more than $100, it won't go thru unless I make payments with my debit card every time I max out the card. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 19
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:
interesting info. I've had my card since '07 with $200CL, their bank took AA in '09 and CLD to $100. Since then whenever I shop in stores and happen to be spending more than $100, it won't go thru unless I make payments with my debit card every time I max out the card. Smiley Sad

You can always call customer service and ask them for a CLI.  Also, if it is slow in the store and you want to make a purchase over the $100, you can have the sales person call them.  Sometimes if you are at the POS, they will put the sale through when they get the call.  The sales person can also make the request to increase your guideline for you.  My co-workers and I commonly did this when I worked at Bloomingdales.  Most Federated employees (Bloomingdales/Macys) get a commission from each sale, so they have an interest in that sale going through and you being satisified.

It's been several years since I worked there, but the rule used to be that you could request an increase in you credit guideline (CL) every six months.  When they ask the amount you are looking for, just ask them what amount the internal guideline system says you can be approved for.  They usually have an internal amount they can approve you for that won't require a HP.  I think it's based on your payment history and spending within the store.  I think I started out with an initial limit of $1,700 and am now at $7,900.  I never got turned down for the increase and never had a HP.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is interesting GST, tell us...  how much do you purchase annually at Macy's?  Since every card likes to see activity.  I know my purchases at Macy's is limited.  Sad to say my local Macy's is small and boring.  I rarely make it to locations that are larger and have more items I am interested in.

Message 6 of 19
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Is Macy's card reporting limits again?
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 19
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Is Macy's card reporting limits again?

Reporting to CBs...no, but it does show you your limit on statements.

@2NE1 wrote:

This is what would happen previously if I ever tried charging anything above $100 - it would just get flat out denied.  I'll be interested to see what happens on my next statement...

Message 8 of 19
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is interesting GST, tell us...  how much do you purchase annually at Macy's?  Since every card likes to see activity.  I know my purchases at Macy's is limited.  Sad to say my local Macy's is small and boring.  I rarely make it to locations that are larger and have more items I am interested in.

My account is with Bloomingdale's but they use the same credit system as they are both Federated stores.  When I worked at Bloomies, I could use my card at Macy's as well (now that I'm not an employee, I can't do this).  I used to run through over 2.5k on it as I qualified for the Ultimate Premier and you had to spend at least that much.  It must have been under that last year b/c they down grade my account back to the standard card.  I don't think it's the amount, just the frequency of purchases and the payment history.  They keep track of all of the information internally and can generate reports on frequency of use, what departments you shop in, which sales associate you use most, etc.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 9 of 19
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

About 2 weeks ago I was there and needed just a little bit more credit line to purchase something and customer service said they can but would have to pull my credt.  So  I didnt do it.  I had asked if they could do a temporary increase so i could make the purchase.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.