Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Visa Signature approval work?

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

How does Visa Signature approval work?

I'm a bit confused about how Visa Signature approval works and I'm wondering if someone can clear things up since it's my next goal.

Do you have to be approved for a card with a $5,000 limit or do you just have to already have a card with a limit of $5k or more?

I would like to earn the US Bank Cash Plus card in the next 12-15 months. I already have a US Bank Platinum Visa with a limit of $4k so I'm hoping US Bank will do a few CLIs so that maybe I can request a product change to a US Bank Cash+.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: How does Visa Signature approval work?

My Chase Freedom Visa just got upgraded to Signature (at my request). They said the minimum CL is 5K, but that doesn’t guarantee Signature. They asked income questions but no HP or SP to convert to Visa Signature.

So to answer your question, I'd say either, but you have to meet the other (unknown) requirements as well.

Message 2 of 6
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

With BoA, you must have a CL of at least $5k with them and you can do a PC to a signature visa. I just did it. I got the run around about the $5k limit, but an educated CSR eventually informed me, so I went that route.

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 6
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

I have a NFCU nRewards with a $7500 CL...its only 2 months old. My next request will be a visa signature so are the requirements the same regardless of the bank? any other items they look for? Also when is a good time to request a product change...IE as in how long before i can ask to be moved?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

I'm a bit confused about how Visa Signature approval works and I'm wondering if someone can clear things up since it's my next goal.

Do you have to be approved for a card with a $5,000 limit or do you just have to already have a card with a limit of $5k or more?

I would like to earn the US Bank Cash Plus card in the next 12-15 months. I already have a US Bank Platinum Visa with a limit of $4k so I'm hoping US Bank will do a few CLIs so that maybe I can request a product change to a US Bank Cash+.

VISA requires that any Signature card have a minimum CL of $5000.     I don't see any point in waiting, why not just request the product change.

Message 5 of 6
Jlu
Established Contributor

Worth mentioning that I've seen some reports of Citi Visa signatures being issued with < $5k CLs
AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.