cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does becoming an AU affect my util and score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does becoming an AU affect my util and score?

A colleague of mine is planning on adding me as an AU on a card that has a limit that is almost as large as all my revolving TLs combined.  I'm wondering how this would affect my score...

• Does becoming an AU affect AAoA?  
  • Do AU cards affect my combined limit and/or util?
  • Do AU cards negatively/positively affect your score in any other way?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How does becoming an AU affect my util and score?

@Anonymous wrote:

A colleague of mine is planning on adding me as an AU on a card that has a limit that is almost as large as all my revolving TLs combined.  I'm wondering how this would affect my score...

Yes it can help you IF the account is older than any of yours (older than your current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history (good or bad) of this account so it can help your AAoA, utilization etc.

One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How does becoming an AU affect my util and score?

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it can help you IF the account is older than any of yours (older than your current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history (good or bad) of this account so it can help your AAoA, utilization etc.

One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

Okay that helps a ton.  The account is fairly new from what I understand, so it sounds like my AAoA is gonna take a hit.  

Appreciate the info!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.