cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does discover like clean aged thick files?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

How does discover like clean aged thick files?

I saw one post about this by BBS back in 2016. Times have changed. I’m wondering what kind SL’s Discover is giving for this type of profile. Help me out members. DTI is crazy low, income is not real high. I know that’s not perfect information, but tell me what you can, please.

They have been sending me mailers offering 15% but it goes down to 14. Now that my score has increased, I think I’m entitled to that.

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.+1,+2,+2(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19. Since then, 5 HP dings to add; will update again.
38 REPLIES 38
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How does discover like clean aged thick files?

@Birdman7 wrote:
I saw one post about this by BBS back in 2016. Times have changed. I’m wondering what kind SL’s Discover is giving for this type of profile. Help me out members. DTI is crazy low, income is not real high. I know that’s not perfect information, but tell me what you can, please.

They have been sending me mailers offering 15% but it goes down to 14. Now that my score has increased, I think I’m entitled to that.

@Birdman7  Disco is all over the place in terms of SL.  For the most part, they prefer thinner files, but unless you're planning balance transfer, they do grow eventually with use.  

If you're in it just for the cash back, I'd go for it 

I dont dare to make a guess, but if I had to, probably not under $4k, possibly more. 

EX 754 EQ 774 TU 752

Message 2 of 39
Community Leader
Super Contributor

🎱 Is your best betSmiley Wink. But if they were offering me 15% apr of the bat id take itSmiley Happy.

The reality is apping Discover is 50/50. Maybe check with Captain HindsightSmiley Wink. He knows all😁
#ChaseCreditCardHobby Enthusiast
Message 3 of 39

I would say if you have alot of credit already don't expect a very big approval, but in time it can grow might just take several years.  Venture to guess 4-7k SL with a good score assuming you have some what alot of credit say 75-100k+ plus.  Purely a guess although what is known for a fact for getting large SL's is thin credit profile(either fairly newer to credit or not alot of credit currently) or rebuilding.  Other then that they are all over the board.  Best of luck if you go for them.  Also income and scores really don't matter to them.  Maybe scores for APR, but not SL's persay.  On a positive side if they are sending you mailers you are on their radar and might fare better than alot of us as they are courting you Smiley Happy

Chase | Citibank | Amex | BofA | PenFed | NFCU | Discover | 5/3rd | Synovus | Commerce | FNBO | Union Bank | Regions
Message 4 of 39
Established Contributor

LOL @AJC's subtle hat tip. 

Short answer: they don't like aged files

Long answer: they don't like my aged file. When I applied I only had 1 card reporting and it was over 5 years old, gave me a 2000 SL which I recon'd to 2500. Smiley LOL Double-dipped my way throughout the year to 5000, but then they put a hard stop to it and I couldn't even get another $1 out of them until a few months ago, when they finally increased my CL by a generous 700. Smiley Surprised (and I suspect this is largely due to a significant increase in income due to a promotion)

Was also told by the CSR they only approve a CLI once every 3 months now, so no point pushing the luv button every week. I've pretty much given up on Disco, so it is what it is lol. 

9/2/19:

Message 5 of 39
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I broke Discover anyway, no reason ive gotten as far as i have other than pity partySmiley Wink.
Message 6 of 39
Valued Contributor

So y’all think I should take the reservation for 15%? Isn’t there a way to try to get 14? I think my scores justify it now. They were pulling it before my recent awards, so it’s much higher now.

Yeah I just want the cashback and customer service, but I don’t want a small CL to pull my average CL down.

And that’s the problem, I have a great deal of credit already and so many revolvers already. And all of you have confirmed what I thought, they’re not fond of aged or thick files.

By the way thank you to everyone who replied, I am very grateful for all of your input.

If I use the reservation, can I still get my brother the $50 bird-dog fee? Or is it a either or?

Installment loan reported this month,so technically, I'm at 2 months, but AoYA points were NOT reset. When new CCs hit and it is reset, I'll put the number it is.+1,+2,+2(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)
Scores updated AUG 4, '19. Since then, 5 HP dings to add; will update again.
Message 7 of 39
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I broke Discover anyway, no reason ive gotten as far as i have other than pity partySmiley Wink.

pssst you spelt PITA wrong Smiley Wink

9/2/19:

Message 8 of 39
Established Contributor

I think the highest Discover SL I've seen on here was $15K or $18K.  From personal experience, I know Discover loves sitting in the daily driver seat and lots of use along with a solid file should allow your CL to grow quite rapidly. 

I can't remember who, but I know there's someone here with a Disco CL in the $60K -$70K neighborhood, so we know Discover *can* give out some very generous limits.

Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($8K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Discover ($20.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($6.5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($10K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($65K), Paypal credit ($6.5K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($10K)
Message 9 of 39
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@arkane wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

pssst you spelt PITA wrong Smiley Wink

Who here doesnt enjoy PITA bread once in awhile?Smiley Wink  

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.