Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How good are Citi DC starting lines?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How good are Citi DC starting lines?

I just got a pre-qual in the mail for the Citi DC, which is a card that I'd like to have to effectively replace my Quicksilver. But I currently have three cards (got all of them in the past 9 months) and I want to also try for a Chase Freedom later this year. Due to the 5/24 rule this of course leaves me room for one more card.

I've read that Chase basically matches your other credit limits which is why I don't want to app for it quite yet as my limits are very low (500, 600, and 1,250) so I want to make sure that whatever I get next has a good chance of offering a higher SL now that my credit is in the low 700s.

The Amex BCE is what I've had in mind for this because of the 60 day 3X CLI. I figure use the Amex to get my available credit higher and get myself in a better position. But is Citi decent for this too or are they conservative when it comes to starting limits?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: How good are Citi DC starting lines?

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got a pre-qual in the mail for the Citi DC, which is a card that I'd like to have to effectively replace my Quicksilver. But I currently have three cards (got all of them in the past 9 months) and I want to also try for a Chase Freedom later this year. Due to the 5/24 rule this of course leaves me room for one more card.

I've read that Chase basically matches your other credit limits which is why I don't want to app for it quite yet as my limits are very low (500, 600, and 1,250) so I want to make sure that whatever I get next has a good chance of offering a higher SL now that my credit is in the low 700s.

The Amex BCE is what I've had in mind for this because of the 60 day 3X CLI. I figure use the Amex to get my available credit higher and get myself in a better position. But is Citi decent for this too or are they conservative when it comes to starting limits?

It's going to vary but anecdotally, Citi seems to give lower starting limits from what I've seen around the forums.  However, people have been successful in taking another HP for an increase (I did this myself).  I think going the BCE route is a good plan, too.

Message 2 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Agreed , from what ive seen unless your profile is rock solid and they like your profile profusedly, it seems they give low cls, even to people you would think would warrant higher. Only true way to know what they will give is to app. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 16
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

I had a pre-selected offer via mailer and applied. Received a starting limit of $9K which is actually one of the higher starting limits for the DC card.

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 6.38.33 PM.png

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 4 of 16
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

0Re: How good are Citi DC starting lines?

I got approved last week for a DC with an $800 limit.  Which matches my highest non Cap1 limit.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 5 of 16
cjesser15
Contributor

I think I started at around $4K which was my lowest limit by quite a bit. After about 2 years it's finally started growing for me and I'm up to $7700. Still my lowest limit but barely.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ysettle4 wrote:

I had a pre-selected offer via mailer and applied. Received a starting limit of $9K which is actually one of the higher starting limits for the DC card.

Love your MV Agusta avatar!

Well thanks for the feedback guys, looks like I'll definitely go with Amex first instead of Citi as they seem to have looser pocket strings when it comes to SLs. Appreciate the help!

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ysettle4 wrote:

That's a great SL. What is your APR going to be (assuming you'll have a $0 APR intro)?

Message 8 of 16
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ysettle4 wrote:

That's a great SL. What is your APR going to be (assuming you'll have a $0 APR intro)?

0% for 18 months then it's 14.24% afterwards. 

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi DC is known to be conservative, and has been in my case.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.