cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How hard is it to get the U.S. Bank Cash+?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How hard is it to get the U.S. Bank Cash+?

I was creating a plan for what credit cards I would like and when I should apply for them. I came across the Cash+ which seemed to fit my desires for a credit card (5% on fast food and bookstores) and was wondering if it would be plausible to apply for it when I have around a year and a half of credit history. I understand that the cash+ was formerly only a visa signature card and was difficult for newcomers to credit to obtain, but after this after change it should have gotten easier. So in the future with a year and a half of perfect credit do you guys think that I would have a shot at the cash+? Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How hard is it to get the U.S. Bank Cash+?

It's not very difficult at all now that they issue it with lower-than-5k limits. 

Though as always "easy to get" is relative. If you have a bunch of scary recent things on your credit reports, probably nothing worth having will be 'easy'. If you have decent, clean credit reports... most cards are 'easy' to get. That being said, US Bank seems to be a relationship issuer, so if you have good but short credit history, the only additional thing you can do in the mean time to boost your chances with them is start banking with them.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into opening a savings account with them.

Message 3 of 12
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

I've been banking with USBank since I was in middle school. My family is a private client with them. My secured card with them was my first card ever. It graduated to their Platinum card 5 years later.

They denied me twice for the Flexperks Rewards card. Score was around 710, util was low. Randomly got approved with a 5k limit on the third try, stats were the same.

About 2 years later, I got the Cash + on the first app I did for it.

In my experience, it was TOUGH to get in with them. But once you're in, you're in.
They are stingy lenders. To this day, I have yet to receive a CLI with them. 

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found them difficult. The cash+ is on my bucket list. I've app'd twice and been denied. This last time my TU score was 758 and my report was clean. But I do have quite a few new accts which They didn't like. I'm going to try again maybe in a year.
Message 5 of 12
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I agree that they are tough to get in the door with.  In 2016, I apped for the Cash+ with then-FICO 8 scores at or very close to 800, and was still denied.  I was able to get it successfully approved on recon, but even then only with a SL of $500, which the limit has remained to this day...  Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 12
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

I have a  6 year old Bankruptcy on my reports with tons of inquires and they gave a a cash + with a starting limit of 6k last year. My scores were around 690

It was a preapproval when I opened a checking account with them as well.

Message 7 of 12
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I'm 22 with a little over 2 years of credit history and finally got the Cash+ back in august of 2016. I've had a savings account with USBank since I was 7 or 8 and a checking account I opened 4 years ago. My first app was denied and the second a year or so later was a partial success in that the application was approved, but didn't meet the 5k requirement so I received the cash rewards which I transferred the limit and closed out the account. 4 months later I applied for the FlexPerks and was approved and while on the phone the rep asked if I'd also like to pc my other card to the Cash+ Which I of course agreed to do. I don't know if there's different guidelines for UW requirements for different cards now that they offer siggys without 5k (heard as low as $500) you might just luck out. If you want to play it a little safer you can app for something like their platinum card and then PC to the Cash+.

Message 8 of 12
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

I find them to be a slightly difficult bank in general. But I wouldn't say I had a hard time getting a credit card. If you don't have anything recently crazy, like in the last two years or so, you should be okay. I didn't bank with them and they gave me a $1000 limit. Maybe it would have been higher if I had other accounts with them, but it's usable so I'm not complaining. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CatOfSpades wrote:

I find them to be a slightly difficult bank in general. But I wouldn't say I had a hard time getting a credit card. If you don't have anything recently crazy, like in the last two years or so, you should be okay. I didn't bank with them and they gave me a $1000 limit. Maybe it would have been higher if I had other accounts with them, but it's usable so I'm not complaining. 

So, my question is, for those that found US Bank easy to deal with, did you app at a location, or online? And for those that find them "difficult", have you only dealt with them online?

I've worked for a number of companies that have banked with them.  They've always recruited amongst the employees at those businesses, so I finally went in and started banking with them.

I got a Kroger card from them with a $500 limit online.  When I found out I was moving someplace without a Kroger, I went into the branch to PC the card,   Banker said that she would get me a new card instead.  Came back with a CL double any other CL, and which doubled my total CL.

Then I started getting random calls from my new banker.  Hey, do you want a PLOC? How about a new Plat card with a $6k starting CL?

I can't get a CLI to save my life, but every time I turn around, I swear they offer me something else new (but only in-branch)

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.