How high credit scores can be misleading

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How high credit scores can be misleading

@wacdenney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fot1 wrote:

I would get the backdoor numbers and start calling. It might be as simple and not having a verifed income source on credit report.

Hope......?????

my friend Mantis suggests that I do recon.

however, that was after the Cap 1 denial. Many seemed to think that the cap 1 ( QS) was a logical choice. ( and the Cap 1 website said " very good chance")

Then my own cards denied my CLI requests.

Sosomething is very wrong

Possibly something a simple as income...as you thoughtfully suggest.

But with 3 denials .... I shall wait.

I suggest you recon as well.  At this point you have nothing to lose.  Start with Lowes and get on the phone and give Credit Solutions a call.  Next call Barclay and they might actually tell you why you were denied.

I don't know how much good a Cap1 recon would do, but I would definately call Credit Solutions on the Lowes card and Barclay on the Sears card.  There's no real reason not to now that they've already done the hard pulls.

Now that make sense..

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you tried the Capital One pre-qualier, did it say "Congratulations! We think you'll like this pre-qualified card offer..." or did it say "We recommend..."? And after you applied did it say you were denied or did it give you the standard "we'll let you know in 7-10 days"?

Also, this might sound like a silly question, but you did put your "annual" income amount on the apps, and not your "monthly" income right?

Message 22 of 33
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That sucks, I would be so mad at all those HP. 

They are rolling in.....but the CS is holding firm. It had been improving but it has leveled off and not lowered.

Sorry about the denials, but I would not expect too much score impact from the HP on each bureau.

I would suggest taking a step back, and not reconing the CapOne card. You have a fairly short CC history, with relatively significant utilization balances.

You have income from your rental units. Where do you bank that cash? What bank handles your checking account? Has that been a two year (or longer) banking relationship? This leads to a suggestion to talk directly with that bank, or credit union, in branch, to see if they have any credit cards which you could apply for. If it is a bank like Bank of America or US Bank, even their secured card products are an option to get started on a third card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, this might sound like a silly question, but you did put your "annual" income amount on the apps, and not your "monthly" income right?

I was wondering the same. Utilization is likely the reason for the denial, and a smaller possibly contributing factor may be no single 5K or higher credit line.

Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering the same. Utilization is likely the reason for the denial, and a smaller possibly contributing factor may be no single 5K or higher credit line.

Yikes....now I can't remember. The quicksilver was there and then the venture below. Said "you might like this one as well".

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yikes....now I can't remember. The quicksilver was there and then the venture below. Said "you might like this one as well".

Well I suppose if you do recon you can ask them what they have as your income so you can make sure they have your annual income and not monthly. As for Capital One, when I got my first card with them I wasn't approved right away. I got the "we'll let you know our decision by mail in 7-10 days." The card came in the mail about 2 weeks later. So there's a chance it could still be approved, especially if you were pre-qualified for it. Maybe they just need verification (or perhaps you listed your income wrong.) You can wait for the letter or just give them a call to see.

Message 26 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley HappyYikes....now I can't remember. The quicksilver was there and then the venture below. Said "you might like this one as well".

Well I suppose if you do recon you can ask them what they have as your income so you can make sure they have your annual income and not monthly. As for Capital One, when I got my first card with them I wasn't approved right away. I got the "we'll let you know our decision by mail in 7-10 days." The card came in the mail about 2 weeks later. So there's a chance it could still be approved, especially if you were pre-qualified for it. Maybe they just need verification (or perhaps you listed your income wrong.) You can wait for the letter or just give them a call to see.

I am somewhat frazzled...I will look at the rejection letter and compare with the CLI denials and take stock. hopefully there is a common thread (income ?) . I should give you all a little break as wellSmiley Happy

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

UTILIZATION, INQUIRIES, and asking for CLI would be concerning for CC companies.

When too much activity is found within 2 years your score starts to dip along with increasing chances of being denied for anything.

Too much activity can be DUMB, just 3 INQUIRIES in that time frame (2 Years) will start to harm you. Companies like to see 2 or less in 2 years.

UTILIZATION is also a major factor, companies like to see 30% or less of the card being used at any given time, going over this produces a risk for them.

Message 28 of 33
degs138
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So sorry. Smiley Sad

You do have great scores and sounds like a great report!  My guess would be Utilization as the only thing holding you back.  Lowes is at 50% and Barclay at 75%.  With rent being as it is, the DTI looks a bit weary for a lender IMO. 

If your Utlization was dropped to 20% total, 10% and 10%, not only would those good looking scores raise to great levels, but your chance of cards I bet would dramatically increase. Rumor mill states 1-9% as the best, but let's be realistic here, under 20%. 

Just my thoughts. 

+1, the red flag is that the little credit you do have is almost maxed out.  If you don't have a lot of active accounts and you have high utility it's a huge red flag.  Pay them down and then apply.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Julie another factor that you must take Is lenders do not like when someone has a new adrees and no employment status despite having a spotless report. Still capital one should had never declined you. That's weird because your credit over qualifys. I wish you heavy luck
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.