cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is CITI if you've burned them in the past???

tag
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

How is CITI if you've burned them in the past???

When I first turned 18 and went to college, I got sucked into all the credit offers that were thrown at kids during the first week of classes. I remember i got a CITI because I got sucked into the MLM Herbalife. Didn't work out so well. I burned CITI. So my question is, how long do they keep those records on file? Are they along the same lines as AMEX??

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Re: How is CITI if you've burned them in the past???

YMMV but in my opinion they will remember until your first born has a first born.

Or in my case they have a long memory and they did not lose a dime on my account I paid them all I owed and all fees, super high interest, etc but they still hold late payments against me.

Good luck.
Message 2 of 14
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. They were never going to be on my list of cards, but i just wanted to know. Appreciate it.

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 3 of 14
knoregs
Established Contributor

Watching with interest as I too have burned them.

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 4 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'm fairly certain that citi is one of the lenders who will blacklist you, but as with (almost) everything that applies to credit, YMMV. 

Message 5 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

From what I know, citi, chase and American Express usually blacklist people who have burned them.

Some people are able to re-open accounts with them later on, while some continue to be blacklisted even after a very very long time. No one can accurately tell you how long you are going to be blacklisted except for themselves, but they will not give you this info either. My guess is that it depends on the dollar amount you burned them for. The higher the amount, the longer you are blacklisted.

Your best chance is to apply, and if denied, call reconsiderations. Sometimes they will not even pull an inquiry if you are blacklisted, so that's one way to tell.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 14
kats_rebuild
Contributor

I burned Citi in college too. I had a credit card that had many late payments and eventually was closed by Citi. The card was never charged off or sent to a collection agency, I worked out a payment plan with Citi directly. I hope that this doesn't blacklist me from all Citi cards forever. It seems kinda silly, it's not like I didn't pay them in full.

Chase CSR 22,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,000 | Chase CSP 10,000| USAA Cash Back $7,000 | AA Silver Aviator Card $10,000 | AMEX Everyday $9,000 | Chase Freedom $3,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards $4,000 | Discover IT $4500 | Nordstrom Store Card $2000
Message 7 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

@kats_rebuild wrote:

I burned Citi in college too. I had a credit card that had many late payments and eventually was closed by Citi. The card was never charged off or sent to a collection agency, I worked out a payment plan with Citi directly. I hope that this doesn't blacklist me from all Citi cards forever. It seems kinda silly, it's not like I didn't pay them in full.

I honestly think you are fine if it's been quite a while since that has happened, but it's impossible to tell since we don't know what their internal policies are regarding this.

There have been people who paid back their debt in full, applied, and still got denied, while some others got approved.

Usually if you have paid your debt back in full and still got denied, you could always call their EO office. There's been cases of people who did that and eventually got approved after.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 14
kats_rebuild
Contributor

Luckily I never burned AMEX or Chase. Most of my early mistakes were with small sub-prime banks. My score still suffered but at least I have decent chances to get in with AMEX and other prime banks as my score climbs.

Chase CSR 22,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,000 | Chase CSP 10,000| USAA Cash Back $7,000 | AA Silver Aviator Card $10,000 | AMEX Everyday $9,000 | Chase Freedom $3,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards $4,000 | Discover IT $4500 | Nordstrom Store Card $2000
Message 9 of 14
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I'm glad I had the allure of thinking that AMEX was "hands off" because it was for the "moneybag" types. Obviously, that's not the case.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.