Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Citi on product changes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is Citi on product changes?

Thinking of getting their AA card.  Would like to be in the Citi family, but do they do product changes?  For instance, if I don't like the AA card, would it be possible to downgrade to DoubleCash? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: How is Citi on product changes?

After a year of card membership they will usually allow a downgrade to Double Cash, assuming that is still available a year from now. That said, the AA card is pretty easy IMO to decide if it's useful or not. The card just helps you earn AA miles. If you use their program it could be useful. If not it won't be and you may as well just apply for a Double Cash. Are you in the AA miles program?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, we fly AA a couple of times per year.  The free checked bag may make it worth the annual fee.  I have the Aviator and basiaclly just use it for free bags and whenever they have a special spend offer.  I drink the Chase Kool-Aid, but would like to have some exposure with Citi.  I've always liked DoubleCash, but the AA sign-up bonus is pretty enticing and would love to finally product change the Aviator, even though every time I request they just offer me another year free. 

Message 3 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm currently PCing from AA Platinum to Costco. The process takes about 1.75 months, so careful timing is necessary to avoid the second year's AF (or at least have it refunded).

The upcoming loss of Admirals access on Prestige is shifting me to be more of a Delta customer.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  That's good to know. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Citi do HP for PC?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, Actually easy with Citi 

Message 7 of 14
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm currently PCing from AA Platinum to Costco. The process takes about 1.75 months, so careful timing is necessary to avoid the second year's AF (or at least have it refunded).

The upcoming loss of Admirals access on Prestige is shifting me to be more of a Delta customer.

Citi takes 1.75 months for a PC?? **bleep**? 

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 8 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@jawbrkr wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Citi takes 1.75 months for a PC?? **bleep**? 

Yes, I was surprised. But that's what the CSR told me and an E-Communication confirmed. It's hard to complain, seeing as they allowed it when other banks might not. I got a great bonus, a lot of free checked bags, and will soon have a more suitable long-term earning card without opening a new account.

I don't know if my case is, for some reason, atypical. For others the PC process may be quick and simple.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 14
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Almost 2 months for a PC in this day and age is neolithic. Holy freakin hell. I can get a PC from CapOne and Chase in a matter of minutes and Citi takes almost 2 months. 

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.