Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Citibank's Customer Service?

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

How is Citibank's Customer Service?

I've been strongly considering adding the new Citi Hilton Reserve card to my wallet, however I wanted to get some feedback from people about their customer service before applying. The card benefits/rewards are great. How is their CS? Is it even close to Chase, Amex, Discover, etc.?
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: How is Citibank's Customer Service?

Citi Gold's customer service is exemplary. 

There is a special "gold only" phone number (unlike backdoor numbers, they verify gold standing before taking the call) where there's literally no wait times.  All CSRs are generally very articulate and seem to understand complex spatial issues more than most.  As good as this service is here in the US, it's even better overseas.

However, I'm not sure if this extends to the credit card department.  I've had the Citi Premier for about 6 months, and have never had cause to call them for anything.  I've been around those who have called.  It seems to me Citi's CSRs are bound by company policies with no discretion to ever make an exception, unlike some other issuers.  While Citi Gold CSRs are great, they can't override even the simplest Citi protocol--the most inflexible company with whom I've ever dealt.

From my experience, I think Discover is the friendliest and most enthused about helping to resolve issues.  You will never get a bad expreience with Discover customer service calls. 

AmEx isn't as consistent as Discover, but when it comes to making exceptions and overriding protocol, Amex is completely without peer.  For example, last year I called them about losing some tickets, which they refunded with a statement credit without any documentation whatsover (the agreement will call for a process, but they often waive that process).  Or, when I charge someting on a lesser card, I've had protection from my Platinum card (though the agreement specifies you must use the Plat for the card's benefits).  Amex just seems to be able to do anything--if they feel like it.  Of course, if they don't, they're far and away the worst company with whom to deal. 

I haven't called Chase much, but when I have, there's never a wait time.  The few issues I've had with Chase has been resolved very quickly and without any fanfare.

I'd imagine Citi would be less than the above referenced 3, but certainly a step above BofA, CapOne, etc...

Message 2 of 14
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Open123's experiences fit with those of my wife: phone CSRs are very professional, but they really stick to scripts. The one exception has been their @askciti twitter team, whom she has found to be very responsive and creative in finding solutions for her. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

They are decent. Better than most, but not on Chase/AmEx's level IMO.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 14
john398
Senior Contributor

I say not as good as Discover or Chase but better than capital one

Message 5 of 14
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

Can you share the gold customer service number? Thanks

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 6 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditChampion wrote:

Can you share the gold customer service number? Thanks

888-248-4465

I don't think they service credit cards though.

Message 7 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

Nope Citigold CSR's don't help with credit cards. I've tried, but they can only help me with checking, savings, etc.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 14
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I think Citi's CS is pretty good. Like someone mentioned above, using the @askciti service on Twitter has definitely helped to resolve various problems I've experienced.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a fantastic credit rating for decades and excellent income. I've typically had credit lines with credit card companies from $8,000 to $35,000.  My credit lines are often increased without me even asking.  And when my accounts have been closed, it has been by MY choice to close them.  I pay ALL my bills on time. As a result, banks always offer and grant me new credit cards --- EXCEPT Citibank.

CITIBANK sends me enticing offers of 0% for 18 months to transfer my balances but whenever I apply, they reject me.  Why? Because in 2005 CITI closed a credit card account I had  (that's right, 7 years ago) because of a tiny small claims court issue that showed up on my public record.  This was over a couple hundred dollars that wasn't with CITI-- it was a personal matter that someone took me to small claims court instead of just coming to me directly-- I wasn't even aware of the bill until I was in the courtroom and as soon as I knew about it, I paid it off.  The judge offered my the opportunity to pay it in installments, which I accepted, not realizing at the time that decision would blemish my record.  OK, so life happens and we move on, but since that ended up in the public record, CITI closed my credit card account in 2005 even though I was never late in any payment on any credit card or car loan or debt of any kind EVER -- with MANY TENS OF THOUSANDS in credit lines over the years.  Now SEVEN YEARS LATER, CITIBANK won't even consider my impeccable credit for DECADES with NO late payments , NO bankruptcy , NO foreclosure EVER. Most banks consider me an excellent customer, but CITI wastes my time with their offers.  After I applied, they didn't call back as promised, and then when I call to inquire about the status they transfer me over to 5 different people in a single phone call and in the end they say "DECLINED."  The reason: because I once had a CITI account that is restricted that will ALWAYS be reviewed in any application with CITI -- which means they NEVER want my business since that stupid little incident that was resolved once it was brought to my attention overrides everything else.  Really incredible, -- they treat good responsible customers like garbage that can be thrown away. 

So who is good?  DISCOVER.  I find that they have tremendous customer service!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.