cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is it that I see so many great approvals from American Express and others with 600 credit scores

tag
Kchristophe11
New Contributor

How is it that I see so many great approvals from American Express and others with 600 credit scores

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How is it that I see so many great approvals from American Express and others with 600 credit sc

I think every lender has a certain threshold in terms of scores when combined with other factors, such as credit age, income, payment history with their other TL's. FICO is just one of the components that are reviewed by a lender whenever they extend credit. Not all profiles are the same, which means not everyone with a 700 score will get approved for an AMEX card, the scoring system for FICO is just a representation of one's credit habits (good and bad). Honestly, I've yet to see anyone within the 600 bracket to get approved for their main revolvers. But It is possible to get in with AMEX through their co branded cards and sometimes charge cards, when those other factors are considered along with one's credit score.

Message 2 of 38
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: How is it that I see so many great approvals from American Express and others with 600 credit sc

Actual FICO scores are just part of what the creditors use to determine whether to issue credit on not. It is also what is on your profile,  the age , accounts you have , your payment history.  There are so many factors, with Amex they sometimes approve at the mid 600 level , but your score is just a "part" of it.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 38
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

There is more difference between

601 and 699

than

701 and 799

and maybe even

501 and 599

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX wants more of that annual fee money.

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clark_d_shark:

Two cobranded revolvers approves at 638 EX (Delta Gold, Hilton no-AF) 11/15/2018
Third cobranded revolver at 641 EX (Surpass) 3/3/2019

I’m pretty sure running those properly plus my 13 year credit history at that point allowed me to get BCP and Gold charge on 5/23 and 5/27 respectively this year. 658 EX at that point. I had across the board preapprovals at that point.
Message 6 of 38
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

$$$$😎🤷‍♂️🍎🍏😆
Message 7 of 38
Kchristophe11
New Contributor

What do those symbols mean?
Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex has a proprietary score they use sometimes for approvals also fico 02?04 and 05 can be over 100 points higher than fico 08 .thats why i got 16k from bbt .
Message 9 of 38
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Because your score isn't everything, as I've proven with some of my approvals. Lol. 

Also, don't mind @AverageJoesCredit, he's special. Bless his heart.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.