cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is it that I see so many great approvals from American Express and others with 600 credit scores

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: How is it that I see so many great approvals from American Express and others with 600 credit sc

Well, I've posted this thought elsewhere, seems to fit this thread as well ... I am not convinced that FICO scores matter at all. However, my profile is pretty unusual, so I may have a skewed view of it right now. Before I explain, let me add that if I were a lender, I wouldn't approve a profile like mine for very much, either. I'm not unhappy with what I am or am not approved for, I am unhappy at the lack of predictive power or meaning in FICO scores in general.

I have a 763 FICO 8 score on Experian. Amex uses Experian. So, you'd think I would qualify for a fair selection of Amex cards. I have been denied for: BCP, Hilton standard, Hilton Surpass, Delta blue, and I think BCE. I did get a Gold Card, to my surprise, but that was literally my third application for it, and was via the CAP link, so I don't know what that means.

I prequalify for nothing (and I mean nothing - not Platinum, nothing) on Cap 1. I prequalify for nothing on Discover. I prequalify for nothing on Citi.

On Creditmatch, I prequalify for one thing, Fingerhut.

On Credit Karma, I get Indigo and Merrick as my suggested cards. To be fair, my VantageScores are lower than my FICO scores.

So, my perception is that a 763 and $2 will get me a cup of coffee. They are going to look at the profile anyway, and give a lot of weight to factors that apparently FICO gives nearly no weight - in my case, credit-seeking behavior, account ages, number of inquiries. I question whether they even see the FICO score, but if they do, they don't give it much credence.

Again, not complaining about lack of offers ... I wouldn't offer myself a card, either. I realize my profile looks crazy right now. My point is that I am disappointed that FICO is so out of sync with what matters to lenders, and generates a meaningless number.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 21 of 38
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: How is it that I see so many great approvals from American Express and others with 600 credit sc

@Medic981 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Also, don't mind @AverageJoesCredit, he's special. Bless his heart.

Sometimes, AJC rides the short yellow bus to the myFICO forums.

😄 These darn emojis lolSmiley Wink

You guys had me laughing @ loud🤪 Thanks @Remedios  you definetly won the interwebz💌

@Brian_Earl_Spilner  FEELING BLESSED🌞 @Anonymous  🐈

@Medic981  i lol reel hardz hahaSmiley Wink. Question ? Am i Dumb and Dumberer special? Or am i  Road Trip special?  Big Wanda please🙋‍♂️

Op, as to your question, lol, everything depends on your file, your credit history, any previous history with Amex,  and of course income. Best thing about Amex, even for people with less than stellar credit is their prequals. Usually rock steady but allow a glimpse of how they view your profile. Best of luck and welcome to the Forum.

BLESS EVERYONE'S❤😄

Message 22 of 38
Kchristophe11
New Contributor

Thanks
Message 23 of 38
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No problemSmiley Happy. If you ever need specific advice about a certain credit card or applying for one, drop a post and be sure to include all pertinent info like current fico scores, inquiries, any baddies , etc. Plenty of folks here who can guude you to what you need or maybe help you before you make an application. Great place to be if you want to improve your credit healthSmiley Happy
Message 24 of 38
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Its also a great place to geek out and make fun nerd friends while also learning. If school was myfico i wouldnt need the extra year of college😂😂😂 also OP if you want a great glimpse into MyFico click on Brian_Earl_Spliner's profile and find his Nordstrom card post. A MF classic👌👌👌
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 25 of 38
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Wrigley2172 wrote:
Its also a great place to geek out and make fun nerd friends while also learning. If school was myfico i wouldnt need the extra year of college😂😂😂 also OP if you want a great glimpse into MyFico click on Brian_Earl_Spliner's profile and find his Nordstrom card post. A MF classic👌👌👌

😅

I was recently told it was legendary. I didn't think it would get as many hits as it did.

Message 26 of 38
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

I would agree with that award haha, feel free to have your once a year drinking night again soon😉
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 27 of 38
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Wrigley2172 wrote:
I would agree with that award haha, feel free to have your once a year drinking night again soon😉

Actually, I was supposed to be in Phoenix again right now, but last minute cancellation. My credit reports breathed a sigh of relief.

Message 28 of 38
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Medic981 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Also, don't mind @AverageJoesCredit, he's special. Bless his heart.

Sometimes, AJC rides the short yellow bus to the myFICO forums.

😄 These darn emojis lolSmiley Wink

You guys had me laughing @ loud🤪 Thanks @Remedios  you definetly won the interwebz💌

@Brian_Earl_Spilner  FEELING BLESSED🌞 @Anonymous  🐈

@Medic981  i lol reel hardz hahaSmiley Wink. Question ? Am i Dumb and Dumberer special? Or am i  Road Trip special?  Big Wanda please🙋‍♂️

Op, as to your question, lol, everything depends on your file, your credit history, any previous history with Amex,  and of course income. Best thing about Amex, even for people with less than stellar credit is their prequals. Usually rock steady but allow a glimpse of how they view your profile. Best of luck and welcome to the Forum.

BLESS EVERYONE'S❤😄

Just change his ranking for Pete's Sake! Dude you kill me....................Smiley Very Happy

ajc.JPG

Message 29 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lmao I’ve actually gone back a couple times to re-read that Nordstrom post Brian. I’ve done a lot of things while the big-kid drinks were flowing but adding credit cards? Nope.

That’s a hardcore MF kinda mindset for sure!
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.