Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is utlization calculated if I make multiple payments per period

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is utlization calculated if I make multiple payments per period

I was wondering if anyone knows how utilization and highest balance is calculated if I make multiple payments per period.

For example if I spend $1000 a week and PIF each week, will my utilization and high balance be $4000K for the month?

I have been using my card out of convenience for the cash back and paying in full, but worried that they will flag me for too much usage.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How is utlization calculated if I make multiple payments per period

@Anonymous wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows how utilization and highest balance is calculated if I make multiple payments per period.

For example if I spend $1000 a week and PIF each week, will my utilization and high balance be $4000K for the month?

I have been using my card out of convenience for the cash back and paying in full, but worried that they will flag me for too much usage.

Hi there.

For most cards it doesn't matter how much you charge or how many times you pay during the month. The monthly statement balance is what is used to calculate utilization for each month.

Use a card as much as you want but try and get the balance down to a desired level several days before the statement posts.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply, this is my new AmEx bce I am worried about. So many people reporting freezes and FRs lately.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding to the OP, since his answer was pretty much answered above, if it's a charge product from AMEX instead of a revolving, and they happen to use your highest balance as your credit limit....where do they get this "highest" balance from?  Is it the highest balance you ever had on the card anytime during that month, or just the highest balance that you let report, if you did let something report, before payment due date? And the next month, if your highest balance changes (higher or lower than the previous month), is that updated?

Hopefully that made sense Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Adding to the OP, since his answer was pretty much answered above, if it's a charge product from AMEX instead of a revolving, and they happen to use your highest balance as your credit limit....where do they get this "highest" balance from?  Is it the highest balance you ever had on the card anytime during that month, or just the highest balance that you let report, if you did let something report, before payment due date? And the next month, if your highest balance changes (higher or lower than the previous month), is that updated?

Hopefully that made sense Smiley Happy

IME, my Green's highest balance seemed to vary over a time period of 3-6 months, or at least as of when I first looked at this a year ago. Mine did update as my higher balances reported. Per FICO scoring, it really didn't matter. EQ and EX ignores it. Most used TU FICO versions ignore it too. TU98 (same as one here) does factor the high balance in.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.