Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long and what requirements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long and what requirements.

Wondering how long should I have a card and what do they look for in interest rate reductions. Since my Citi double cash card have a 9 month 0% which ends in September after which it'll be 25% so when is it time to ask for rate reductions?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long and what requirements.

Whenever you want.  There's no harm in asking.  You can do it through chat and it takes all of 45 seconds.  The worst they can say is no.  I lowered mine from ~25.xx% to ~16.xx% with 3 chat sessions over 4 days I believe.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  And, if it doesn't, keep sqeaking until you do.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's not like CLI's where it has to be a certain time frame?
Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Usually, Citi or Discover wont entertain reductions if you are currently on a promo, at least in my experience. Sometimes, they might offer a new promo if they cant reduce the current apr.
Message 4 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Definitely wait until after the promo period ends. And then I’d still wait a few more months to establish a good history. However, it really does never hurt to ask. Good luck!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So it's not like CLI's where it has to be a certain time frame?

Nope.  You can try a day apart.  Probably even less, (say) hours apart. 

Message 6 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with @AverageJoesCredit here.  In my experience, Citi has never tossed anything my way when I was already in a special promotion of sorts.  Once outside of that they’ve handed me BT’s and lower interest rates just about any time I’ve asked.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.