cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before combining Chase limits?

tag
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: How long before combining Chase limits?

@Anonymous wrote:

@FieryDance wrote:

How do combined credit cards show on credit reports?  Does the one getting absorbed just disappear as it never existed?  Or does it show as closed by consumer/grantor as it got canceled?  

Depends on if you move 100% and close the donor card.  You can opt to keep usually as low as $500 on the donor to keep it open / parked for later use.

If you opt to do 100% and close then it shows CLOSED on your report.  It doesn't magically go away or anything.

I went from CSP @ 21.**% to CF at the 1 year mark to avoid the AF. My pesky 21.**% remained on my account. Few months later I get an offer for the CFU at 17.**% and I said sure I'll bite. So as soon as I got accepted I switched my CF CL over to my new CFU. Chase didn't allow the entire amount to cross over, $500 had to remain on the account I closed. Done. Sure I had a new HP for the new card, but 4% less apr and I wanted that card anyways? Chase was CL chasing at that time. It had beat it by $400 with this CL merger. 

The card I closed in good standing now shows as: Account closed by consumer

Good Luck! Just do what works best for you. 

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 11 of 26
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I moved CL from CSP to CFU while both had activity on them and had no problems...

Message 12 of 26
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

This is good info... I hadn't thought about doing this! 🙌🏼
“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 13 of 26
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think the deal with the two month wait is if you want to do a card combination that preserves 100% of both limits. Otherwise, you'd leave a small amount behind on the card that's closing.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started with Shale, then got Freedom. Even after a year spent with both, they would not have moved the limit off the sheet.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Slate is less than a year old. Is it worth shuffling that much to save 10 months of account age? Will Chase see all the shuffling and delay it, or consider that for future apps or PCs and maybe deny down the road?

Message 16 of 26
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

I think it's more up to the individual as to whether the 10 months makes a difference or not. On a thin profile it could mean the world, but on a long thick profile, it probably will just be a waste of time if the individual doesn't care...  Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HighAchiever wrote:

I think it's more up to the individual as to whether the 10 months makes a difference or not. On a thin profile it could mean the world, but on a long thick profile, it probably will just be a waste of time if the individual doesn't care...  Smiley Happy

Agreed, but I would be more concerned about the future with Chase. Maybe it doesn't matter, but maybe it makes a difference for future PCs and new accounts. 

Message 18 of 26
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

For sure... Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 26
TheAuthorizedUser
New Contributor

Does the moving CL between cards work with cobranded Chase cards like the south west ones to a CSP?

Garden Life: 4.01.20
Leaving Garden: 1.15.22
Updated: 4.15.20

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.