Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does Discover hold a grudge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does Discover hold a grudge?

Hello all just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for Discover to forgive a BK? I burned them back in 2017 for about 7k and did the pre qualifying form and got the letter saying previous card with Discover. Any info would be great.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: How long does Discover hold a grudge?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for Discover to forgive a BK? I burned them back in 2017 for about 7k and did the pre qualifying form and got the letter saying previous card with Discover. Any info would be great.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that 2017 is VERY recent as far as bankruptcy goes. I'm not surprised at all that Discover would not be ready to welcome you back yet. Three or four years from now? Maybe.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Everyone, and every burn is different. So, unfortunately we can't tell you a time frame. Im surprised you weren't offered the secured card. If you were, and thats not what you wanted, Id take it anyways, as it graduates with good behavior.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you are saying they are Almost like Chase they won't touch you with a BK?

January will be 5 years since the BK any suggestions on what cards to look at?

I have cap one quicksilver and quicksilver one, Best buy visa, and comenity visa.

Message 4 of 15
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I did not file BK. I made a settlement and paid it in 2018. Now I can not even get approved for secured card from them. I decided not to bother with them. I think derog will stay on my report until 2025 and I am probably black listed until then. 

Message 5 of 15
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Disco closed my card due to inactivity around 3 yrs ago. Every 3-6 months I checked the pre approval link and it gave me the same answer: prior relationship with Disco. It wasn't until I got a pre-selected mail that I decided to pull the trigger and was approved, however the pre-approval link continued to deny me.

The time will come for you to take the risk, trusting that your profile will make you look good as a borrower.

Message 6 of 15
rostrow416
Established Contributor

I had a chargeoff with them in 2014 and ending up settling for less than the total.  I was able to get the chargeoff removed from my reports sometime last year and was approved for a Discover IT Cash Back card in December 2020.  Prior to that, any attempt at pre-approval ended up with the "previous relationship" denial.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 7 of 15
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have cap one quicksilver and quicksilver one, Best buy visa, and comenity visa.

I will tell you right now forget them and put burns like that behind you. What i would suggest is look to BK friendly and welcoming Credit Unions. And for a FACT some of those good CU's with your proper disciplines that you show to them can and will eclipse limits the mainstream commercial prime banks will take years to even get near even with no BK.

This forum has ample resources of posts that can point you in the right direction. All The Best To You!!!

Message 8 of 15
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I will tell you right now forget them and put burns like that behind you. What i would suggest is look to BK friendly and welcoming Credit Unions. And for a FACT some of those good CU's with your proper disciplines that you show to them can and will eclipse limits the mainstream commercial prime banks will take years to even get near even with no BK.

This forum has ample resources of posts that can point you in the right direction. All The Best To You!!!

Couldn't agree more.  Just 4 months post discharge PenFed gave me a card with a $6K limit.  And for almost 10 years I have done all my regular banking (checking/savings) at a local credit union.  CU's are (IMHO) such a better choice than regular banks.

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 9 of 15
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Oh man, your thread is so relatable to me. I just finished paying off my debt through a debt settlement program. Discover was one of my creditors. We setttled for less than full, but I still paid back most of what I owe. They will not even give me a secured card, nor do they even bother to check my credit. I could understand this if I hadn't paid them back, but I did. Oh well, there are other credit cards, I guess.

Good luck on your post-BK journey. Hope all goes well and that you're able to rebuild your credit soon. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.