cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for a Credit Union credit card to report to Eq/Exp/Tu from approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it take for a Credit Union credit card to report to Eq/Exp/Tu from approval?

Ex: Does it report once you are approved for the account? or does it report after 30 days?

Specifically looking for Penfed / Digital / Patelco / Addison or other commonly discussed credit cards.... and assuming installment loans would report the same.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DI
Super Contributor

Re: How long does it take for a Credit Union credit card to report to Eq/Exp/Tu from approval?

Some lenders report the new tradeline within 3 days, and some take as long as 90 days. 

PenFed report the new tradeline when your first statement generates.   I'm not sure how soon installment loans are reported 

Message 2 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: How long does it take for a Credit Union credit card to report to Eq/Exp/Tu from approval?

I wasn't able to tell when my PenFed posted because ScoreWatch didn't alert me. I got a free copy of a report elsewhere, and the account was already there...but ScoreWatch didn't let me know.

I only got my card in August, so it reported rather quickly...my guess would be with the 1st statement. When I let the 2nd statement show a $70 balance, I got an alert that a balance had increased, but never got one for the new account showing.

Message 3 of 9
hemi961
Regular Contributor

Some of the bank cards I have reported the day after I was approved, Discover and Ameriprise are 2 examples for me. I have 5 credit union cards and they all reported just after the first statement, which in 3 cases was 30 days after approval. Give them a call and ask when your billing cycle ends and they will tell you. I always wanted to know so that I could control the number of cards reporting a balance.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hemi961 wrote:
Some of the bank cards I have reported the day after I was approved, Discover and Ameriprise are 2 examples for me. I have 5 credit union cards and they all reported just after the first statement, which in 3 cases was 30 days after approval. Give them a call and ask when your billing cycle ends and they will tell you. I always wanted to know so that I could control the number of cards reporting a balance.

DI's PenFed account reported after first statement was generated, and your experience has been after the first statement also. So that would be about 3-4 weeks+ correct?

Also would you mind sharing which 5 CU's you have had this experience with? and which 3 reported after 30 days? PenFed? Navy?

Message Edited by connect4 on 11-04-2009 06:34 PM
Message 5 of 9
hemi961
Regular Contributor

One NFCU card reported after 30 days, the other after about 2 weeks. I was approved for both within a day of each other but the statement cuts around the 14th and the other around the 26th. Alliant and PSECU were about 30 days after approval and Andrews was a shorter time. The thing they all had in common was that they all reported at statement time. However, unless you call you won't know where in the billing cycle you received the card.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh okay i get it. I'll call to make sure.

So you're saying that every card varies? and that it can be anywhere from 1- 30+ days?

Message 7 of 9
hemi961
Regular Contributor

That has been my experience but the thing I have learned from following these threads is that there is a lot of variation. My Discover card reported 3 times in the first 2 weeks, the 3rd time was when the statement closed. I have never had a credit union report mid cycle.
Message 8 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

oh okay i get it. I'll call to make sure.

So you're saying that every card varies? and that it can be anywhere from 1- 30+ days?

AMEX takes the longest.  60-90 days. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.