cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get Target store card converted?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Target Redcard One more Thing

@creditfan wrote:

I guess perhap OP cares more toward chip & pin ability

The store card is one of the few true chip and pin cards available in the states.

Message 11 of 95
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I too really do not see much appeal in the Mastercard version unless you were in a position where you could not qualify for any other better cards. But most people can do better than 2% dining/gas, 1% all else. Plus it's paid out on a Target gift card only once a year and not redeemable for cash. In short the rewards are not competitive even for no AF.

The main reason to have a Redcard is 5% off at Target and you already get that. The upgrade is nice, but I don't see why it would be a dealbreaker. I would think most people around here who got the upgrade still do not use the card outside of Target anyway.

Like you note, mixing emotions and cards is not a good idea. A lender is not going to take it personally if you SD the card out of anger, no more than you should take it personally if they cut your limit etc.

Message 12 of 95
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

I guess perhap OP cares more toward chip & pin ability

I think the Target Debit card offers the same thing?

Message 13 of 95
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm not sure, but maybe the Target MC is chip+pin even outside of Target?

Message 14 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

In most of the  posts about this Redcard over the past year tend to show Target is very conservative with the CL. I believe a few posts had mentioned how even the top tier credit score holders were surprised when there credit line was low and CLI very little approval. I got approved last year for the Redcard at $500 CL and have used it monthly since to get the 5% sometimes almost maxing it out but paying it off monthly. I can say I wish I would go up to $1000CL because I have been eying going to a 70" tv and would like to use the card for that and I also like the CS at Target a lot easier to deal with then Walmart.  I agree I don't think the MC version is worth it be happy you have the CL you have that's a pretty substantial amount IMO

Message 15 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

Given that there was already one case of Target point of sale systems being hacked, I could see an argument for preferring that the store card not be upgraded to a MasterCard or Visa.

Being a store card does not stop fraud but does at least limit it a bit.

Message 16 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I don't even shop at Target.

Then why are you even responding to this post????  Smiley Indifferent

Message 17 of 95
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Please do not make me work. 

Thank you 

Message 18 of 95
creditfan
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'm not sure, but maybe the Target MC is chip+pin even outside of Target?

that is why MC is there for 

I tested at usps and yes it did ask me pin

Message 19 of 95
dogmeat
Regular Contributor

So here's my somewhat more succinct interpretation of your statement and question:

"I've been using my Target store card in a limited manner for 10 years.  I haven't gotten a good CLI or upgrade to the MC version. Even though I know it's not supposed to, I wonder if that would p**s anyone off? I'm going to start using it more, in hopes of getting a CL/upgrade to the MC version. If I don't get either of those, I'm going to go back to using it in a limited manner.  Is there anyone else who would do the same?"

Short answers:  Yes, there are most certainly people who would react emotionally, even to the extreme, to the lack of CLI or upgrade to a credit card.  I'm not one of them.  Regardless of emotions, I think your suggested actions are reasonable.

Longer answer:  I also have a Target store card with a measly limit that I rarely use, and it's also one of my older cards at ~10 years. It's on the chopping block for closing by customer (me). 5% is nice, but with low usage, when I do the math, the savings just aren't significant enough to matter or to justify holding it, and the monthly effort to monitor it. I have several other old cards so I'm not too concerned about the age of credit ding, and it should stay on my report for ~10 years anyway. 

Message 20 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.