cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long managing a higher CL before requesting CLI on another card?

tag
Marcos8
Established Contributor

How long managing a higher CL before requesting CLI on another card?

Hello all! Quick question...I just received another Amex CLI a couple of weeks ago and it should be reporting within a couple of days. It is now my highest CL by a longshot. Do I have to let this report for a few months before I try to use it as a tool to get higher CL's on my other cards? Or is the fact that its reporting enough to encourage other lenders to consider my responsible use of it? I am preparing for a CLI request on my BOA card and contemplating a CSP as well. How long should this new CL report before I pull the trigger? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

Re: How long managing a higher CL before requesting CLI on another card?

YMMV on using an existing high limit to leverage against requesting additional CLI's from the other lenders. While I'm sure it is, at least in some part, related, what primarily determines your CL is your income, credit history, etc. not really your other limits. Giant credit card companies are not necessarily at an arms race against each other, at least not with the most of us average consumers.

Message 2 of 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: How long managing a higher CL before requesting CLI on another card?

As with all things credit related, time is your friend, most prime lenders will slowly grow your CL via auto-cli's if the see you using their cards as they expect. Personally I wouldn't expect B of A, to match your AMEX limit if you ask for a CLI, the best way to get cards matching your other high limit cards is to apply for new cards. Chase has been known to give good starting CL's, CSP has to start at a minimum of 5k,  GE backed will give good limits if you call and ask, but the APR and rewards suck.  My favorite prime card for limits and frequent auto-CLI is First National of Omaha. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 4
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: How long managing a higher CL before requesting CLI on another

If you are going to use a high cl as a tool for cli then after it reports should be good enough

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.