Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long should I garden?

This is a long post, and I apoligize for that. I am trying to give you the whole picture, since I know you guys ask for more info most of the time Smiley Happy

I recently started trying to build my credit.  I went for an auto loan back in June of last year, and was told I had no credit. I was still approved at a rate of 7.39%, I thought that was an ok rate for no credit, so I took it, a 3 year loan. After that experience, I decided it was time to do something about having no credit. I waited 3 months to let the auto loan age a little. In September, I applied for several credit cards. Chase card, was denied. Wal-Mart Card, denied. Capital One, approved for QSOne w/$300 limit. Bank of America, approved for Cash Rewards w/$1000 limit. I also signed up for myFico monitoring at this time so I could see what was going on. I had 1 baddie that was reporting to TransU. The credit union that I got the loan through checked Equifax, which had absolutely nothing on it but an old auto loan from a few years prior. Scores at the time were Equ - 662, Exp - 672, TransU - 574. I tried to negotiate with the CA to remove the baddie from my TransU report, and the CA kindly reported it to Experian as well when I tried, which dipped that score about 100(how kind of themSmiley LOL) That baddie is currently at 40 months old. I can say for sure now that debt will never be paid. What an absolutely terrible tactic(I WAS willing to pay it, NOT NOW!!).

At the beginning of the year, I got the itch again. Decided to app some more. I know now that was probably a bad idea. I tried Chase again, denied again. I tried AmEx, denied. BarclayCard, denied. Discover, approved for DiscoverIT w/$1000 limit. JCrew SCT w/$1050 limit, CLI buttoned Bank of America got CLI to $2500 limit. My current scores are, Equ - 662(no change), Exp - 639(down 33, took that massive dip for the old collection being added), TransU - 660(up 86). I know my AAoA is really low and that is hurting, plus all the inquires I've accumulated isn't helping I'm sure. I have $4850 in revolving credit. My utilzation is around 25%.

So what do you guys think? How long should I be in the garden? When I do come out of the garden, should I only try for CLI on my current cards, or should I try getting a couple more major lenders in my wallet?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long should I garden?

I sit still until the end of the year at least. You have a pretty good looking wallet with some good issuers. So just take care of them and your score will improve and so will the relationship with the CCC. Also (off topic) how do you like the myfico credit monitoring? I've been looking at it but haven pulled the trigger yet.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a long post, and I apoligize for that. I am trying to give you the whole picture, since I know you guys ask for more info most of the time Smiley Happy

I recently started trying to build my credit.  I went for an auto loan back in June of last year, and was told I had no credit. I was still approved at a rate of 7.39%, I thought that was an ok rate for no credit, so I took it, a 3 year loan. After that experience, I decided it was time to do something about having no credit. I waited 3 months to let the auto loan age a little. In September, I applied for several credit cards. Chase card, was denied. Wal-Mart Card, denied. Capital One, approved for QSOne w/$300 limit. Bank of America, approved for Cash Rewards w/$1000 limit. I also signed up for myFico monitoring at this time so I could see what was going on. I had 1 baddie that was reporting to TransU. The credit union that I got the loan through checked Equifax, which had absolutely nothing on it but an old auto loan from a few years prior. Scores at the time were Equ - 662, Exp - 672, TransU - 574. I tried to negotiate with the CA to remove the baddie from my TransU report, and the CA kindly reported it to Experian as well when I tried, which dipped that score about 100(how kind of themSmiley LOL) That baddie is currently at 40 months old. I can say for sure now that debt will never be paid. What an absolutely terrible tactic(I WAS willing to pay it, NOT NOW!!).

At the beginning of the year, I got the itch again. Decided to app some more. I know now that was probably a bad idea. I tried Chase again, denied again. I tried AmEx, denied. BarclayCard, denied. Discover, approved for DiscoverIT w/$1000 limit. JCrew SCT w/$1050 limit, CLI buttoned Bank of America got CLI to $2500 limit. My current scores are, Equ - 662(no change), Exp - 639(down 33, took that massive dip for the old collection being added), TransU - 660(up 86). I know my AAoA is really low and that is hurting, plus all the inquires I've accumulated isn't helping I'm sure. I have $4850 in revolving credit. My utilzation is around 25%.

So what do you guys think? How long should I be in the garden? When I do come out of the garden, should I only try for CLI on my current cards, or should I try getting a couple more major lenders in my wallet?

So the baddie will fall off at 48 months right? It seems like you have quite a few decent cards now so I would at least wait the 8 months you have left for your baddie to fall off. 

Message 3 of 7
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

When you leave the garden, first thing is to check the pre qualify sites like Chase, Citi, and Amex.

Message 4 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'd definitely wait the 8 months for the baddie, which happens to take you to the end of the year anyway.

I was gonna say I recommend gardening until at least the end of the year and try another app in Jan 2016 if you have something you want then.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are you guys saying this will fall off at 48 months? I've never heard that. I was always under the impression that things fall off after 7.5 years (90 months). And is there a reason you guys are recommending 8 months specifically? Am I hitting some breakpoint there?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

And I like the monitoring service. Keep in mind though, it is only a monitoring service. You can't just look at a new report any time. It shows you some changes to your profile(not all), and gives you a current score.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.