Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CC is best to have

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many CC is best to have

Trying to understand having CC and using them in a correct way.  So far this forum been helping me understand a bit more about credit and Im trying to understand more and more as rebuilding credit score.

My understanding is best to have 3 CC right?  used all 3 CC paid off 2 and 1 leave low balance less then 9% each month? Am I correct?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: How many CC is best to have

@Anonymous wrote:

Trying to understand having CC and using them in a correct way.  So far this forum been helping me understand a bit more about credit and Im trying to understand more and more as rebuilding credit score.

My understanding is best to have 3 CC right?  used all 3 CC paid off 2 and 1 leave low balance less then 9% each month? Am I correct?

Yep correct 2-3  but you can have as many as you like as long as you apply the same process of pay all but one off and have it report < 10% if applying for more credit 

Other than that pay as you like if your not seeking any new credit 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
Shock
Established Contributor

My end goal is 5 cards and 100k in credit lines.

My friend has had only one wells fargo card ever, open for seven years and his score is 795..

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 3 of 8
Shock
Established Contributor

not sure. he started low and it sits around 4000 or so

@Laddi wrote:

@Shock wrote:

My friend has had only one wells fargo card ever, open for seven years and his score is 795..

That's a nice credit score for your friend. What is his credit limit.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 4 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding is best to have 3 CC right?

2-3 for scoring purposes but beyond that it's all about your specific needs/wants.

@Anonymous wrote:

used all 3 CC paid off 2 and 1 leave low balance less then 9% each month? Am I correct?

If you're trying to optimize reported utilization you need to pay prior to the dates that the accounts report.  For most cards that's the statement date.  If you're paying after the statement date and by the due date then you're not affecting the reported utilization.

Message 5 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have 10 cards, 11 when amex hits my reports
This month with 11 years of backdating. I have an equifax account and under their scoring system when my freedom hit the report last month i went from types of credit to saying fair to saying good. Then the next day my report showed a merrick bank card i closed and types of credit went from good to poor. I say have as many as u want that u can manage but i am slowly downsizing and want to have 6
Cards in the next year and then apply for amex BCE.
Message 6 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

I would say you want at least 3 cards for best possible credit score. You can have as many as you want beyond the three as long as you PIF etc. There is really no difference between having 3 cards and 20 cards for the most part. With more cards you have more credit and therefore its easier to keep util down. With too many cards you can start getting rejections from lenders if your profile isn't thick enough. In the end the best number of credit cards to have is 3 (or however many fit your needs). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Shock wrote:

minimum of 2-3 cards is needed for scoring, the main problem with having only 1 card, is it some issue arrise with the company you may not have access to any credit. Not what I want should I be on vacation or out of town. Or if you are at a location and they don't take your credit card. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.