Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many CCs is too many?

tag
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

How many CCs is too many?

I currently have 8 CCs opened in my name.

1. How many CCs is too many?

2. Will having more than 10 CCs consider to be too many cards in the eyes of lenders?

I know UTIL % plays a huge role but at what point will the lenders say...hey, this guy/gal have way too many CCs and they are reluctant to extend more credit to that person. I've read that some ppl have 4 while others have 20. I am just curious to know if there are some backlashes to having "too many revolving accounts".

Please advise base on your experience.........

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: How many CCs is too many?

@tntexans72 wrote:

2. Will having more than 10 CCs consider to be too many cards in the eyes of lenders?

I know UTIL % plays a huge role but at what point will the lenders say...hey, this guy/gal have way too many CCs and they are reluctant to extend more credit to that person. I've read that some ppl have 4 while others have 20. I am just curious to know if there are some backlashes to having "too many revolving accounts".

I have 11 and am curious to hear as well. I don't carry balances but know in 3 or so years I may be buying a new home... curious to know whether the # of accounts is an issue, if they all have zero balances and perfect payment history.

Message 2 of 17
andre181
Established Contributor

I can't directly answer your question, but BoA just denied me a CLI because "too many open revolving accounts"

I have 14 revolving accounts

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 3 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

I have 11 cards.  It's all about being able to manage them.  I always put myself in a position to be able to cancel a card. 

Message 4 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@tntexans72 wrote:

I'm afraid this is one more YMMV.  Smiley Happy

I've also had 8 cards for many years but (so far) have never been penalized for having that number.  Now I have been dinged for having "too many revolving accounts with balances" at any one time so that is something to consider.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 17
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Reason why I asked was.......

My AAoA is 6.9yrs

Oldest account 22.3yrs

UTIL is currently 25%

Clean report

Asked for a CLI from Chase and declined.

Reason???? "too many revolving accounts opened"

Message 6 of 17
mross1080
Established Contributor

I have over 20 revolving and I still get approved when I app for new cards, I havent apped in a bit since I have high util right now (almost 50%) but I think chase just didnt want to give one and thats the only excuse they could come up with.

Message 7 of 17
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Added a bunch more in the last three months closed a few.  Up to 33 now and there does not seem to be any real barrier at this point.  I have not been denied for any cards in a number of years.  I do keep utilization near or at zero all the time. 

The only bank I have found to be skittish is BoA which has closed my only card with them three times in the last two years.  Ultimately this has been to my benefit as I keep apping for the Royal Caribbean card and get the points bonus for a new app each time.  Interesting that they close the account but then when I app, they give it to me again.  Each time I get the bonus and then cash in the points.  Last time I apped I got the card, put one transaction for $4.91 on the card, used the 10,000 points for a $50 credit with Royal Caribbean and then they closed the card the next month.

Message 8 of 17
Amnesia87
Contributor

Question: "How many CCs is too many?"

Answer: "At least 2 more..."

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 17
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

I have 11 cards.  It's all about being able to manage them.  I always put myself in a position to be able to cancel a card. 

+1

One can be too many if you can't manage the account. Too many revolving trade lines is a negative reason that I see on my TU with double digit revolving trade lines, but it doesn't seem to have too much of a negative effect since I have a 793 TU Fico score.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.