cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Cards do/can you actively manage at any one time.

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: How many Cards do/can you actively manage at any one time.

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

I Googled it... seems like a waste of time and money to me.

+1.  I Googled, too.  Seems like you'd be better off using the money spent to pay down your balances and boost your UTIL (which is a much bigger factor in the scores, anyway).

+ 1  ..and gardening is completely FREE of charge..LOL

Message 61 of 77
saltire001
New Visitor

Until about 5-6 months ago, I had 31 actively open cards that I managed.  My situation was (and still is) quite complicated and I literally lived off credit cards for a couple of years.  Since then I have closed quite a few of them with 7 open cards and the rest having 0 balances, with 4 of them soon to be brought down to 0.  I have gotten 6 more cards in the past 3 months with the newest being a Cabellas card which reported my limit as 10,000 through Transunion (which I have not received yet, it has been 2 weeks since my application but I have made purchases through the website using the card).  I found that quite amazing since I had 20 to 23 hard inquiries made in the past 3 months (there is a reason for the high inquiries as well).

Message 62 of 77
kysin2014
Contributor

I have 25 credit cards and wish to add a Chase Southwest Airlines Visa, Amex Blue Cash or Costco Amex, and a Citi AAdvantage Visa, Citi Diamond Preferred, or Citi Thank You Premier Card.  Not sure which one of those three Citi cards is the best one to own, but I want at least one Citi card. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred  5.5k

Macy's Amex  6k

Bloom Amex  5k

Delta Gold Amex  1k

Discover It  4.5k

Kohls 1.5k

Cap One  1.5k
Cap One  2k

Cap One  1k

Ebay Mastercard  1.5k

Marathon Visa  2k

True Value  3k

J Crew  3.1k

Babies R US  2.5k

Amazon  2.5k

Sams Club Discover  $2,750

Walmart Discover  $2,750

Dillards Amex  $3,250

Chevron Visa  3k

Banana Visa $2,750

Gap Visa   $3,600

Crate & Barrel  8k

Lowes  6.5k

Home Depot 8.8k

Pottery Barn 10k

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" height="50" border="0" >Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 769
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 63 of 77
eagle2013
Established Contributor

I have four cards (CSP, Wells Fargo, BofA and Nordies visa) and two store cards (Old Navy and Macy's). I get the itch to app but realize that I can't even manage the cards I do have. I may add a Citi and Amex BCE or BCP to the mix, but that won't be until sometime next year. I want my CC accounts to have at least a year of age at least.

Message 64 of 77
aliang

I find managing more than 3 cards is already too much. I use one for personal eveyday use, 2 for my business. I always sign up for paparless and autopay which is a must if you have more than 1 card. Having more than 3 cards also put yourself at risk of credit card fraud becuase you will have to constantly monitor your transactions on each card.

Message 65 of 77
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

I manage all 6 of my cards (currently in the siggy) for personal use and I use all of them every month. My rule is to never get a card unless you're going to use it. Every card has its purpose when used properly. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 66 of 77
barrytuneup

managing cards:  I have 2 BCP/ 1 BC/ 2 Citi Div/  1 Citi premier/ 1 Citi preferred/3Chase freedoms/2 BOA Better bal rewards/Cap one Business-- (which I will cancel when fee comes due and switch to Quicksilver )/Chase ink business (no fee version) 2 USBank cash+/ 3 MVD card/2 BB cards + a few others. I have an excell program to keep track of bonuses and points. W/O that I doubt I could manage all these, plus the time taken to MS.

Message 67 of 77
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@barrytuneup wrote:

managing cards:  I have 2 BCP/ 1 BC/ 2 Citi Div/  1 Citi premier/ 1 Citi preferred/3Chase freedoms/2 BOA Better bal rewards/Cap one Business-- (which I will cancel when fee comes due and switch to Quicksilver )/Chase ink business (no fee version) 2 USBank cash+/ 3 MVD card/2 BB cards + a few others. I have an excell program to keep track of bonuses and points. W/O that I doubt I could manage all these, plus the time taken to MS.

I didn't know that you were allowed to have multiple Dividend, Better Balance Reward, and BCP cards. Did you have to do anything special to get these?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 68 of 77
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I still have my 8 cards...am thinking to close Barclays arrival...Smiley Indifferent

Message 69 of 77
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I will close my arrival when the AF comes due since they say you can't PC to non-AF. :-/ Gonna have to get my travel reimbursement done before then though...
Message 70 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.