cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Citi Cards can you have open? How many do you have?

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

How many Citi Cards can you have open? How many do you have?

Does anyone know how many cards Citi lets you carry of theirs?
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Re: How many Citi Cards can you have open? How many do you have?

no problems consolidating the cards and no hard inq. We have been with them for a while and it was a Cash Returns and a Platinum Select.  It took 24 hours for my balance from the Cash Returns to move over to the PS.

They told me I could not consolidate with a pending BT and I asked for a sup and they did it no prob. 

Message 7 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know how many your could potentially have but I have two.  A Dividend Rewards card and a Platinum Visa.  The CLs are about the same, $12,000 and $12,200.
Message 2 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I consolidated two to one, (my wifes accts) I am thinking about applying for another one in a few months. Total CL is 28.1k.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrCredit wrote:
I consolidated two to one, (my wifes accts) I am thinking about applying for another one in a few months. Total CL is 28.1k.

Did you have any problems consolidating them?  And did they do any hard inquiries?  

I have 2 Citicards, and they're the exact same card, I'd like to combine them so that there's only one, but want to keep the total CL, the history from the oldest card, and the interest rate off the newer card.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two, but one of those is a Exxon/Mobil card... not sure that counts for your question Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3: two dividends and a platinum. All three have a CL of around $11k.
Message 6 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

no problems consolidating the cards and no hard inq. We have been with them for a while and it was a Cash Returns and a Platinum Select.  It took 24 hours for my balance from the Cash Returns to move over to the PS.

They told me I could not consolidate with a pending BT and I asked for a sup and they did it no prob. 

Message 7 of 11
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Denial from Citi yesterday for Citi Hilton Honors Visa:

Unfortunately, we are unable to approve  your request for the account at this time because of the following:

o   You already have the maximum number of accounts that can be issued to an individual.

OK, so resurrected this old thread to provide an update for anyone who's interested.

Called Citi and asked them if they meant "too many Citi Cards", and they said yes, and I have:

7  (2 of which I am an authorized user, and 5 where I am primary)

So I am guessing that you can't have 6 Citi cards where you are the primary cardholder.

I asked them if I cancelled some unused cards and asked for a recon, would that help, and they said bascially it might, but no guarantees.

So I will remove me from AU status on the 2 (gas cards), and then consider dropping the Sears and the Goodyear cards.  Don't want to give up the American Airlines card, Aadvantage MC and Aadvantage Amex.  Must consider AAoA in the process.

Never added up all those Citi cards over the years. 

Message 8 of 11
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@JRomulus wrote:

Denial from Citi yesterday for Citi Hilton Honors Visa:

Unfortunately, we are unable to approve  your request for the account at this time because of the following:

o   You already have the maximum number of accounts that can be issued to an individual.

OK, so resurrected this old thread to provide an update for anyone who's interested.

Called Citi and asked them if they meant "too many Citi Cards", and they said yes, and I have:

7  (2 of which I am an authorized user, and 5 where I am primary)

So I am guessing that you can't have 6 Citi cards where you are the primary cardholder.

I asked them if I cancelled some unused cards and asked for a recon, would that help, and they said bascially it might, but no guarantees.

So I will remove me from AU status on the 2 (gas cards), and then consider dropping the Sears and the Goodyear cards.  Don't want to give up the American Airlines card, Aadvantage MC and Aadvantage Amex.  Must consider AAoA in the process.

Never added up all those Citi cards over the years. 

Question - What are your CL like on those 5 Citi cards? 

Message 9 of 11
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Yes, total CL is important too... only $26,000, so not huge by any means.

Of course, that is just Citi, and one of my "gardening" projects IS to reduce the number of cards I have while boosting the average CL.  It is simply too time consuming to rotate the usage on cards.

Total I currently have 43 reporting lines, 20 open accounts, 6 with balances (only 4 of which are credit cards)

Too many open accounts.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.