Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 58
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How many Credit Cards do you have?

@JM-AM wrote:

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Haha, why did I post this thread?! It only makes me want to app some more!!!! Haha JK, I can control myself.  I think Smiley Tongue

We all know better! Smiley Wink

Would it help any if I said that if I could get it down to five or six, I'd be perfectly happy, and that the only reason that I have so many is that I deliberately set out to "dilute" bad credit with new good credit, and that two lenders (USAA and PenFed) gave me additional cards out of some version of warm fuzzies?

Because it's true!

I just can't bring myself to close perfectly good cards that don't cost me anything and aren't that much trouble to maintain. It just seems silly to have that many. Smiley Tongue

But if I were starting from scratch, without negatives to overcome, I would have tried to get a collection like you have and stop. Right about at the point where you are now. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 42 of 58
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with HTSU. I would be perfectly happy with 2-3 cards but I won't close any that I have because they don't cost me anything.

IMO no one needs more than 2-3 CC's. (If you pick the right ones).  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 43 of 58
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@JM-AM wrote:

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Haha, why did I post this thread?! It only makes me want to app some more!!!! Haha JK, I can control myself.  I think Smiley Tongue

We all know better! Smiley Wink

Would it help any if I said that if I could get it down to five or six, I'd be perfectly happy, and that the only reason that I have so many is that I deliberately set out to "dilute" bad credit with new good credit, and that two lenders (USAA and PenFed) gave me additional cards out of some version of warm fuzzies?

Because it's true!

I just can't bring myself to close perfectly good cards that don't cost me anything and aren't that much trouble to maintain. It just seems silly to have that many. Smiley Tongue

But if I were starting from scratch, without negatives to overcome, I would have tried to get a collection like you have and stop. Right about at the point where you are now. Smiley Wink

True, I'll try to limit my credit applications, it's just so damn addicting( only when I'm approved lol). Also, I've realised I didn't even share my credit Profile with you guys....

Here are my cards:

BofA Bankamericard

BofA AMEX

AMEX Zync

AMEX Blue Cash

Citi "Thank You(SM) Preferred"

BB Store Card

My primary card would have to be the BofA Bankamaricard because It has some of the best benefits amongst all ( 1.25 Points for every dollar, 24/7 Concierge, annual bonus points reward, points redeemable for cash, electronics & more) these are just some of the benefits. This card is also my lowest apr card, with 0% intro for the first 12 months and now it's stuck at 7.24 % on purchases and 19% on cash advances.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 44 of 58
911gt34life
Frequent Contributor

NationWide 7,500

Discover 1800

Capital One 1500 soon cut it been here for years Smiley Sad

Amazon Store Card 1800

Dell 6500

Target 300 Smiley Sad

i am tire of credit card just need nationwide go over 12k i be happy.

>
Message 45 of 58
android01
Valued Contributor

I've been lurking around here for a while and have learned a lot of very useful information.  I thought I understood credit usage and credit reporting until I read what everyone has written in these forums.  I had no idea it was so convoluted!  Perhaps my past ignorance has been bliss, as I find the the addictive part of my personality shifting into high gear.  I'm up to speed now with the "right" credit reports from Myfico, and I thought I'd take the plunge and start participating here in the forums, so here goes;

EQ 12/4/10 - 741

TU 12/4/10 - 735

EX (FAKO) 12/4/10 - 784

Discover - $15,500 CL

HSBC GM Platinum MC- $14,000 CL

Bof A Signature Power Rewards Visa - $10,000 CL

Chase Slate Visa - $7,300

US Bank Platinum Visa - $10,000 CL

US Bank Premium Line Plus Visa - $15,000 CL

UT is 12%, Aa of A is 11 years, and I have one closed card (by me) that had (4) 30 days late back in 2004-2007.  The baddies are irritating me emmensely right now as this was a business CC that I had NO idea was on my personal report.  With the exception of  an expenditure I had to finance for a few months (a new HVAC system for my home) I pay off everything in full each month.

I think I'm lucky my credit is in as good a shape as it is because I've never followed the credit reporting available to me, and not knowing can be REALLY damaging as it turns out from reading all of the wonderful posts on these boards.  A new obsession has been born!!!

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 46 of 58
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I've been lurking around here for a while and have learned a lot of very useful information.  I thought I understood credit usage and credit reporting until I read what everyone has written in these forums.  I had no idea it was so convoluted!  Perhaps my past ignorance has been bliss, as I find the the addictive part of my personality shifting into high gear.  I'm up to speed now with the "right" credit reports from Myfico, and I thought I'd take the plunge and start participating here in the forums, so here goes;

EQ 12/4/10 - 741

TU 12/4/10 - 735

EX (FAKO) 12/4/10 - 784

Discover - $15,500 CL

HSBC GM Platinum MC- $14,000 CL

Bof A Signature Power Rewards Visa - $10,000 CL

Chase Slate Visa - $7,300

US Bank Platinum Visa - $10,000 CL

US Bank Premium Line Plus Visa - $15,000 CL

UT is 12%, Aa of A is 11 years, and I have one closed card (by me) that had (4) 30 days late back in 2004-2007.  The baddies are irritating me emmensely right now as this was a business CC that I had NO idea was on my personal report.  With the exception of  an expenditure I had to finance for a few months (a new HVAC system for my home) I pay off everything in full each month.

I think I'm lucky my credit is in as good a shape as it is because I've never followed the credit reporting available to me, and not knowing can be REALLY damaging as it turns out from reading all of the wonderful posts on these boards.  A new obsession has been born!!!

Whoa.... $15,000 CL on Discover?!?! Nice Credit Lines!

The last time I've seen something like that was back in 2007...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Alexander Dumas
Message 47 of 58
android01
Valued Contributor

The Discover Card dates back to 1986 (Discover's first year of business, I believe) and is the oldest one I have.  They've mad a lot of money  from me over the years.  After reading how many people have had CLDs, especially recently, I'm surprised it hasn't happened to me yet (knocking on wood).   

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 48 of 58
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@android01 wrote:

The Discover Card dates back to 1986 (Discover's first year of business, I believe) and is the oldest one I have.  They've mad a lot of money  from me over the years.  After reading how many people have had CLDs, especially recently, I'm surprised it hasn't happened to me yet (knocking on wood).   

My friend had 17k CL, got CLD back in early 09 down to 9K. Sucks

-Alexander Dumas
Message 49 of 58
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

I can now officially say "one".

Cap One Secured Visa $200 CL.

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.