cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards did you have in college?

tag
kogama
Valued Member

How many credit cards did you have in college?

Hey I wanted an updated version of this topic. 

When you guys were in college or if you are in college now how many credit cards did/do you have. Wish I could post a poll : (

updated: I now have 8 credit cards and an amazon store card 

edit:

Could you help answer post #100 of this topic

Message 1 of 101
100 REPLIES 100
tommiezwa

Re: How many credit cards did you have in college?

I went through college without any credit cards (this was ages ago, of course!) and am extremely grateful that I was able to do so!

Back then, companies would send credit cards through the mail, hoping we would just start using it.  I never used any of them; just destroyed the card; I did NOT want to be in debt during college, or after I graduated! 

Nowadays, I suspect that it is nearly impossible to get through college without at least 1 or 2 cards, and assorted student loans (which I also did not get into).

Best wishes and blessings to you!

Starting Score: 811 in 2004
Current Score: 679 as of June 18
Goal Score: 750 or higher

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 101
kogama
Valued Member

Well actually credit card companies are not allowed to even be around the premises of a college. There are way too many students I know without a credit card and even those that believe they will never need or use one  and trying to explain this to them is difficult. Most of them associate a credit card with immediate debt but why can't they just use their credit card for all debit card purchases and auto pay it off ( first month manually of course cause of the auto pay system )

They do not believe me when i say they will have troubles in the future with getting a house or car loan and their interest rates will stink. The ones that do get cards I see do not take the time to come on forums or read articles to learn.

Message 3 of 101
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

None! I tried very hard to apply everywhere, but no one wanted to open an account for me who had no credit history back then.
Now my credit scores are always staying above 800 with no baddies. So I am receiving invitation letters for credit cards from a lot of banks all the time.
It's kind of annoying to deal with those junk mail often. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 101
kogama
Valued Member

@DigitalArk wrote:
None! I tried very hard to apply everywhere, but no one wanted to open an account for me who had no credit history back then.
Now my credit scores are always staying above 800 with no baddies. So I am receiving invitation letters for credit cards from a lot of banks all the time.
It's kind of annoying to deal with those junk mail often. Smiley Sad

....How did you start hitting the 800s and how old were you then? I know it all depends on how you manage credit but approximately how long. Also what was your average age of accounts at that time if your remember?

Message 5 of 101
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@kogama wrote:

When you guys were in college or if you are in college now how many credit cards did/do you have. Wish I could post a poll : (

I have 4 cards and an amazon store card.

I had the following:

1. Amex Blue Card

2. Citi Dividend 

3. Chase Rewards Card -  "Go Gators!"

Those were the days where I could actually fit them into a wallet... didn't need anything more than that.

Message 6 of 101
kogama
Valued Member

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@kogama wrote:

I had the following:

1. Amex Blue Card

2. Citi Dividend 

3. Chase Rewards Card -  "Go Gators!"

Those were the days where I could actually fit them into a wallet... didn't need anything more than that.

Over what period of time did you build that collection of cards?

Message 7 of 101
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@kogama wrote:

Everything you see in my siggy Smiley Happy I'm currently still in college. About to apply for an AMEX soon, so it'll be a total of 7 cards while in my undergraduate studies.

I may apply for the Forward, if it's still good and still around, before I'm done with graduate school, as well as applying for the US Bank Cash+ (if it's still around and still good), by January 2015, making it a total of 9 card before I'm out of college.that are planned!

Message 8 of 101
colinstu
Regular Contributor

I'm in College now.

First year I didn't have any credit cards. Second year I had one credit card. Starting my third year soon and I've jumped to five credit cards. 

Always PIF unless there is a 0% intro APR promo, in which case I'll keep the utilization on a card to a reasonable level or PIF anyways (and knowing I'll be able to PIF if I ever have to). 

Federal student loans and some grants have been able to fully cover my schooling costs the past 3 years. Now that I'm working a lot now and my Dad is making more, I suspect my fourth (and final) year of college I won't have enough loan/grant money to cover it and I might have to pay out of pocket (or with a credit card while paying it down/off properly, lol).

I'm addicted to credit now, and this forum has helped this along. Haven't paid a cent in interest to CC companies and have made plenty in rewards / nice to have the ability to meter the cost of large purchases over several months. 

Don't plan on applying for anything new in at least 6mo... hopefully over a year. Want my AAoA to mature and have those HPs to be older. 

Check my sig for details. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 9 of 101
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@kogama wrote:

Well actually credit card companies are not allowed to even be around the premises of a college. There are way too many students I know without a credit card and even those that believe they will never need or use one  and trying to explain this to them is difficult. Most of them associate a credit card with immediate debt but why can't they just use their credit card for all debit card purchases and auto pay it off ( first month manually of course cause of the auto pay system )

They do not believe me when i say they will have troubles in the future with getting a house or car loan and their interest rates will stink. The ones that do get cards I see do not take the time to come on forums or read articles to learn.

I always get the exact same reaction as you. To answer your thread, I have 8 (down below), and a LOC. BTW, I'm still in college.. Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.