cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards did you have in college?

tag
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many credit cards did you have in college?

zero

zip

nada

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 91 of 101
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

Im currently in college and my highest was 7 cards

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 92 of 101
thecheese
Established Member

1 card, a Wells Fargo Platinum. I had previously opened up a student checking account at a branch with my dad. I don't remember the exact circumstances of opening the card itself, but I rarely used it aside from a couple large purchases. It got 1 or two auto-CLI's up to $4,100. I didn't fully comprehend the importance of it at the time but I kept its 10 year history pristine. My parents, who went through a bankruptcy, constantly told me that one late payment would be the end of the world (slightly exagerated on my part), but I'm thankful for that exageration since I've kept the WF and my subsequent cards 100% late-free in the 10 years since.

Message 93 of 101
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I am a graduate student and I have 5. Before I graduated with my undergrad, I had two (and only used one). Shortly after I graduated, I added 2 more. And at the beginning of the semester, I added two more. I have canceled two, and I'd love to get back down to 4 (probably cancel the BB&T card) if Barclays auto-CLIs me in 5 days. Oh Barclays, please give me all the auto-luv. Smiley Happy

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 94 of 101
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

I had 1 credit card in college. Capital One.
Message 95 of 101
andre181
Established Contributor

See my sig. All of them were obtained while I was in school. I'm 24, been out of college since May.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 96 of 101
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

^ Amazing profile at that age, I can do without so many TL's, but my only regret is not getting an Amex earlier. (Apping for my first soon to secure 2013)

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 97 of 101
WuXing5
Regular Contributor

@andre181 wrote:

See my sig. All of them were obtained while I was in school. I'm 24, been out of college since May.

+1 except im a few years younger than you and still in college Smiley Surprised

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully. " - GWB
Message 98 of 101
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I had 2 and it proved to be too much.  Smiley Wink

Message 99 of 101
kogama
Valued Member

Ok so I am glad that this topic turned out to be popular! 

I need some advice from you guys and girls who have credit for a long time now. Here is my problem. I originally got one or two credit cards early on in college to build up my credit and used them responsibly. Got some increases etc, didn't care about the bonus/0% APR because I was paying everything on time and only put on what I could afford. Then it turned out I got denied financial aid and my parents are worse off than I am financially so asking them is out of the question.....solution for a full time college student with a part time job....

lets just say I am going into my second semester of junior year and have 9 credit cards.  I really needed the 0% APR to pay ridiculous tuition off and my question is:

Is making small purchases every now and then on each of the credit cards enough to stop a bank from wanting to close your account for "inactivity"?

Cards:

Chase Slate / Sapphire / Freedom

Citi Forward

AmEx BCE

Barclay Upromise

Amazon Store Card (The Paper one)

Discover It

Capital One Quiksilver

Also is the barclay FICO score for transunion accurate?

Supposedly it is 756, and according to chase freedom approval wherever they get theirs from it is 726 with EX or EQ

Message 100 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.