cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards do you actually use?

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Re: How many credit cards do you actually use?

Hmm a very good question. I think realistically I use 3-4/5 with the new additions:

AMEX Everyday Preferred - Any purchase less than $20 (have to hit that 30), Groceries (4.5x), Gas (3x) when non-category.

Barclays Arrival - Non-Category Spending, foreign travel, Utils or anything else I can put on there at the moment to earn the signup. This includes gas for the moment.

Freedom - 5x Categories only pretty much - meaning restaurants and home improvement this quarter, gas in others.

Intermittent - PRG - Airfares/work charges that are inconvenient to appear elsewhere.

SD - BCE, has been replaced and is basically a free history extension that I use for something small every month.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 51 of 69
plasectomy
New Contributor

Great thread! I have 20+ cards and am currently using only my Amex SPG to meet the spending requirements for the sign-up bonus. When not meeting spending requirements, I try to play the category game, but honestly, sometimes the game gets more to be more tedious than saving 20 cents is worth. My go-to card is the Barclaycard Arrival until I downgrade to the non-AF version, at which point I expect to use my Fidelity Amex.

The only with an AF that I see myself using a year from now is the Marriott card.

Managing my Google spreadsheet is fun, but since I pay off the balances by statement close date (for reporting puroses), I really need to be on top of it if I play the category game.

Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master.
Message 52 of 69
red259
Super Contributor

BCP for grocery store spend

Freedom for any bonus categories (restaurants this quarter)

CSP for restaurants when not Freedom quarter, also for travel expenses. CSP tends to get most of the misc non-cat spend.

Amex PRG I usually throw some expenses on this card each month so it sees some use. It will probably get ditched when AF is due.

Citi AA Executive - did a massive amount of spend over the last two months on this card to meet initial spend bonus, but doubtful it will get much use going forward

Cap 1 Venture- Doesn't see any use anymore and will probably get PCed when AF comes due next month. 

Total 4 out of 6. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 53 of 69
xgac12x
Established Contributor

I use my AMEX Fidelity for regular spending. 

Chase Freedom for restaurants

Sallie Mae MC for gas

And Quicksilver for everything else (once I recieve it in the mail of course)

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 54 of 69
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I'm using about 4 out of 20. I run my insurance auto pay thru my Barclays reward. I am using the 0% 18 months Barclay financing on a MacBook Pro. I use the Chase freedom for my simple expenses like gas, food, and local entertainment. Finally I use my Amex Blue for larger purchases and travel.
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 55 of 69
Stralem
Established Contributor

Out of 7, only three get regular use.

Freedom, CSP, and PRG.

I'll be trimming the fat this year, so to speak.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 56 of 69
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I only use one and that's Chase Freedom Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 57 of 69
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

I have 6 cards now.

I use 3. AMEX BCP, BoA MLB, and Discover IT.

My Chase Marriott and Sapphire Preferred seem to get very little useage now, as well as my Venture. I just upgraded venture to Quicksilver and am awaiting that.
Message 58 of 69
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

1. CSP: Min spend
  2. Freedom (restaurants right now)
  3. Amex BCE: everything else
760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 59 of 69
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I currently have 9 TLs, but I mostly use:

Sallie Mae WMC: gas & groceries  (most used card by far!)

US Bank Cash + Visa Sig.: fast food & cell phone bill for 5% and drug stores 2% (when this quarter ends, I'm going to select restaurants instead of cell phone)

Chase Freedom Visa Sig.: miscellaneous bills and restaurants this quarter

Amex TrueEarnings: Costco membership and purchases that I want extra protection for

In August, I plan to app for Fidelity Amex and hopefully will be approved.  When that happens, I will probably tweak my line-up a bit  and make Fidelity Amex more of a catch-all daily use card and for bill pay when Amex is accepted (Freedom if not).  I also plan to close a few cards that I'm not using (Citi, Discover, etc).  

Message 60 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.