cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards should i have?

tag
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many credit cards should i have?

@dpride86 wrote:

Thank you. I need to get a Amex card.....15 cards seem like way too many

I agree, some people think if they have that many it makes them important !!!!!!!!!!

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 11 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@newportguy wrote:

@dpride86 wrote:

I agree, some people think if they have that many it makes them important !!!!!!!!!!

Can we just stop now?  Already taken action, and frankly I'm way too short-tempered right now to handle this adroitly, so I'll try asking nicely.  Please end these oblique comments.

        
Message 12 of 23
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@newportguy wrote:

@dpride86 wrote:

Can we just stop now?  Already taken action, and frankly I'm way too short-tempered right now to handle this adroitly, so I'll try asking nicely.  Please end these oblique comments.

Notice taken and i am sorry for my comment

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 13 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I like having my near 20 cards! Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 23
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@newportguy wrote:

@dpride86 wrote:

Thank you Rev for letting us know that action has been taken for a particular member. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 15 of 23
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I like having my near 20 cards! Lol

I like your limits! LOL I am right behind you at 11 personal & 4 business! 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 16 of 23
jake619
Frequent Contributor

There was a time when i tried amassing as many cards as i could. My guess is most of the game will pass for the card grabbers as new challenges present themselves. I mean no disrespect to those that collect CCs, I did it to a degree, too, but at some point it will fade. Probably right around the time your lender calls you up and says "Ummmmm, about that mortgage you applied for. We need to talk".
Message 17 of 23
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

For credit building/scoring purproses, I don't think there's any benefit to having more than 3 or 4 accounts.  Just make sure they're with lenders who will grow with you; you won't get anywhere running around with 3 sub-prime or store cards stuck with $300 CLs. 

I've been helping one of my younger sisters build her credit pretty much from the ground up.  She has an Amex Blue, a Discover More, and a Chase Freedom.  All of them have good limits that are already starting to grow.  With those three cards, she may never need another CC for the rest of her life.

Message 18 of 23
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:

For credit building/scoring purproses, I don't think there's any benefit to having more than 3 or 4 accounts.  Just make sure they're with lenders who will grow with you; you won't get anywhere running around with 3 sub-prime or store cards stuck with $300 CLs. 

I agree, along with most here, that 3-4 well-tended accounts are all that is needed for credit building and scoring.  And that is what the OP asked about.

But for other purposes, such as maximizing rewards, then the number can be much higher, as people get cards for sign up bonuses, or to cover reward categories etc.  So, as in most things credit, people's current needs, and thus number and type of cards, will vary.

Message 19 of 23
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Yes store cards arent everyones favorite BUT they do their job of getting you into primeland. What my sister did was just get Old Navy and AE as store cards because they will help her credit PLUS will become VISA's after 1&6months to 2 years. so she will now be able to use ANYWHERE and not just at one place. She also got macys card eventhough it wont upgrade like AE or ON. You can still request it to be converted into an AMEX which will require a hard pull but will be worth it since it will now be a major credit card. But id say 4 to 6 cc's is the rigth amount, and try to have each network in case they dont accept one you'll have back up Smiley Happy

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.