Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many credit cards

I have a very good credit score, 791 average for the three, despite opening two new credit cards recently.  My wife also opened two cards and I added me as an authorized user on hers and vice versa.  Of course, what that does is give me 2 cards that hurt my years of credit.  The other is an amex but shows my original amex card of 1988.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of closing a couple old accounts, which hurt my score slightly.

Anyway, my question  has to do with the account, that i am an authroized user with my wife.  If that account is closed will that one show on both of our credit reports for 7 years?  Or will it come off mine since it wasnt my account.

Also, I have 2 amex, 3 visa, 1 mc, 1 retail, 1 discover.  my utilization is about 5%, which is quite good.  Is this too many cards too have?  I was looking at getting one more, good deal for AA on miles.  Just curious.  Thanks

Jim

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: How many credit cards

if you can manage that number of cards, then it's fine.  personally, i manage my 8 cards & my girlfriend's 8 cards.  Smiley Happy

if you remove yourself as an authorized user before you close the account, then the account should disappear from your reports completely.  this has been my experience.

Message 2 of 14
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

+1 to laz98. And jimlenz, you're doing fine.

If someone should ask me how many credit cards I have, I wouldn't be sure to come up with the correct answer.

DW and I have one joint account. We each also have a card that the other is AU on. And we each have a card with no AU stuff going on. How many cards do I have?

Very refreshing by the way including loved ones here.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response for both of you, I appreciate it. 

Message 4 of 14
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

That did not happen with me.  I removed myself  as an authorized user from Citi, and the account still shows on all three reports as account relationship terminated. It still lists in account history.  In fact, it was on EQ and TU.  I  never knew it just disappeared from my reports.......maybe i should check into this?  I know its no longer factored into my utilization.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response for both of you, I appreciate it. 

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User - Does this come off CR?

So I guess the question is if you take an a person off as authorized user or you are taken off as authorized user, will that come off your credit report?

Jim

Message 6 of 14
BamCat
Established Member

Regarding the authorized user issue:  My parents added me as an authorized user on their Visa card when I was 18 (about 30 years ago).  They opened the card as a BankAmericaCard in 1967 (when I was four years old).  Anyway, I haven't been an authorized user on that card in years, but it still shows up in my credit history for one of the credit bureaus (I forget which one), giving me a credit history of 43 years and my highest FICO score of the three (837).

Message 7 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Authorized User - Does this come off CR?

i think if you follow up on it, then yes, it will come off.  in my case, it was a bank of america card.  came off very quickly.

Message 8 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This varies. I've seen BofA AU cards come off immediately, without doing anything. They vanished with the next billing cycle.

American Express still reports DD#2's and DXH's AU cards, even though they've been off for two years and the card is long since closed. AE wants us to pay for two EX reports (one for each), so that we can give them the report numbers for them to fix it. That's ridiculous.

Discover is still reporting the card that I was AU on, even though I've been off since January. (It was DXH's card.) I'm crossing my fingers, because it's my oldest account. Well, it's not really my account, of course, but it's the oldest one on my reports. Shhhh...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 14
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Discover is still reporting the card that I was AU on, even though I've been off since January. (It was DXH's card.) I'm crossing my fingers, because it's my oldest account. Well, it's not really my account, of course, but it's the oldest one on my reports. Shhhh...

But it reports as closed, right? So you get a higher AAoA, but not a in theory potentially high card util.

It's such a major loophole (well, you specifically have earned it). Being AU for just a day is enough. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.