Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many inquiries is too many?

tag
Buckeye07
Established Member

How many inquiries is too many?

I have 14 inquiries in the last two years and 6 in the last 2 weeks.  How long should I garden for before I can apply again such that the inquiries and new accounts wont be a problem?  (AAoA 2 yrs 6 months with 15 total accounts).   Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: How many inquiries is too many?

Inquiries only hurt for 1 year for FICO scoring. But I would wait at least a year or two before applying again because a lot of inquiries in the last 6 months doesnt look good

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

How long is your credit history and do you have any derogs?

What constitutes as too many inquiries is really dependent upon the individual. Some are able to rack up over 15+ inquiries on 1 bureau and still be approved. On the other hand there are people whom are declined for having too many inquiries despite having only 4 inquiries.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 7
Buckeye07
Established Member

My credit history is 4 yrs 6 months.  I have no derogs on EQ and TU and 1 on EX that will be deleted in a year.  Im really trying to pick up a Sapphire and a Blue Cash Everyday when my score and reports are right to pull the trigger.

I have students loans that were reported as late in 2010. There being disputed though.  During recons Ive been able to explain that they are showing as late because i took a semester off school and the loans were supposed to be in deferment.  Its worked so far, but I really want instant approvals as AMEX recons are tough.

Message 4 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

It's best to wait till the disputes are over and then apply. Amex recons also result in additional inquiries done.

Other than that I would recommend you wait till inquiries at least a year old as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

*1 to enharu. In order to recon with Amex, your cr they pulled must have contained an error/erroneous data.
Message 6 of 7
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
How long is your credit history and do you have any derogs?

What constitutes as too many inquiries is really dependent upon the individual. Some are able to rack up over 15+ inquiries on 1 bureau and still be approved. On the other hand there are people whom are declined for having too many inquiries despite having only 4 inquiries.

+1

Some people are able to outweigh too many Inq's with a thick and positive file such as a long AAoA, no derogs, etc.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.