Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many new accounts is too many for AMEX

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

How many new accounts is too many for AMEX

I currently have a green and blue amex.  I've had the blue since 5/1/2008 and the green since 6/1/2008.  Since then I have opened 2 new chase cards, chase freedom and chase platinum.

I would like to have a store card but I'm afraid i'll awake the AMEX beast from it's slumber.  Should I take the chance and apply for a store card or wait?  If you think I should wait how long would you suggest?

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jp_dlp
Contributor

Re: How many new accounts is too many for AMEX

I think it would'nt be a problem opening a store card, from what I see you don't have any, it will hurt a little bit for the inquiry and age of accounts but in the long run, it will help your mix. I do have a number of cards from diff. banks and AMEX. in fact, I've applied 3 of my cards the same year I got my amex. I'd say go for it..
Current Fico Score
EX: 660 EQ: 680 TR: 690
Message 2 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't open a new account without anticipating a quick FR from Amex. Multiple accounts opened in the same time frame is a definite red flag. I got FR'd the second I got approved for Amex number two.
Here we go again...
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth, I went on an app spree back around March: got cards from BOA, CITI and an AMEX Blue. In July I had to buy a new TV and I financed through BBuy w/their store card for the 3/yr 0% offer. In less than a week after opening the BBuy acct, AMEX was pulling my report. They have reviewed my acct twice since. No CLD or cancelled card YET. Still nervous it's coming though.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you pif your Amex cards?

Is your EX score over 750?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened a Citi, BoA and a gas card within a week of each other recently and AMEX didn't blink, but I do PIF my cards each month, and my FICOs are 750+....

Message 6 of 16
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened a Citi, BoA and a gas card within a week of each other recently and AMEX didn't blink, but I do PIF my cards each month, and my FICOs are 750+....

Wait till your Father gets home. They'll most likely get around to it don't worry. The crunch gets deeper every day.

Message 7 of 16
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@sammyfire2001 wrote:

I currently have a green and blue amex.  I've had the blue since 5/1/2008 and the green since 6/1/2008.  Since then I have opened 2 new chase cards, chase freedom and chase platinum.

I would like to have a store card but I'm afraid i'll awake the AMEX beast from it's slumber.  Should I take the chance and apply for a store card or wait?  If you think I should wait how long would you suggest?

I'm pretty sure if you even look at an app Amex will cld you.Smiley Wink Seriously that would be 3 new accounts in about 6 months, right now AE is really cutting deep. Unless you absolutely have to have a store card I wouldn't try unless you don't mind AE going Sybil on you.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This year I've opened 7 new cards, a mortgage refi, and a small real estate loan, and Amex hasn't blinked yet.  They soft me every month or so, but they seem content with me. 
Message Edited by LaserBlue on 11-27-2008 08:19 PM
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx is completely unpredictable. They have performed an F/R or CLD on customers in virtually every possible set of circumstances. Other customers, like LaserBlue, seem to stay completely under their radar. But it is a bit ludicrous for AmEx's possible reaction to become the deciding factor in every move.

Do what you need to do for your financial progress. Just have a Plan B in case AmEx reacts bizarrely. Anyone who thinks they can forsee what AmEx will do in a given situation is delusional ... Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.