cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many of you are keeping BOA Debit Card?

tag
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Re: How many of you are keeping BOA Debit Card?

@CS800 wrote:

Why use debit when you can reap points on your CC?

I have transferred all my utilities and bills to my AMEX, then PIF before the due date. Just like using my debit card but with rewards.

+1 Although I have some bills, such as Electric and Gas who either do not take AMEX or want to charge a 'convienience fee' to accept a credit card which IMO negates the rewards, that's the only downfall I see as long as your PIF.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 61 of 89
tdbss
Valued Member

I never heard of this before, been using debit/visa for as long as its been around now, about 15 years or so.

Might be time to bring the old check book out moth balls.

10.28.09 EQ 571 TU 606
11.24.09 EQ 611 TU 566
1.3.10 EQ 653 TU 566
2.6.10 EQ670 TU598
5.4.10EQ691
9.17.10 EQ658 TU682
Message 62 of 89
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mainly because I don't want to support BoA with my money.

But also because I already cut it up and threw away the pieces.  I hate having too many cards in my wallet, I'm content with my AmEx/Chase/USAA CCs and debit card.  Infact I really dont want the Chase either since I now have the USAA as my backup Visa, but it's my second longest credit line so I might as well not shoot BOTH my feet.

If the card has no AF and you only charge a few dollars a year, then keeping the account open is costing THEM money. I'd get a replacement card, but go ahead and put it in your sockdrawer instead of your wallet. If it's in good standing why let it close and lose that utilization?

That's my 2¢.

Message 63 of 89
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I'm thinking about getting rid of my BOA checking and savings account. I have had NOTHING but trouble with them for the past few years. When I went to Spain, I called ahead of time and put a travel alert on my credit and debit accounts. Then, I get to Spain and bought a plane ticket within the country of Spain. Guess what? My credit card was shut down for "suspicious activity in Spain". Good thing it wasn't my debit card or I'd have been screwed! Then on top of that, their foreign transaction fees are $5 on top of whatever the foreign bank wants to charge you to use their machine. I've spent hundreds of dollars on BOA foreign transaction fees alone. Due to my limited access to phone while abroad, I tried to reach out to them online and was never contacted. Once I got back stateside, I let them have it and all they could do was apologize.

To add insult to injury, I had a very large check and they tried to investigate it for fraud and had the nerve to offer me a measly $100 in exchange for a check that was worth nearly $100K for 7+ business days. Luckily I'm no dummy so I took my check to the bank that issued it, opened an account, and had instant access to my money.

BOA sucks and they aren't even worthy of the $350 I have in my accounts now. I'm definitely going to close my accounts when I get the time.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 64 of 89
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

I haven't yet closed my BoA checking account, but I haven't used it in months. I have the CampusEdge checking, so I don't even know if I get the fee or not. 

I switched to SunTrust because it's partnered with my college and links my student ID with my checking account, making buying things around campus a lot easier, and it's completely free. Plus my loans and scholarship overpayment get deposited directly into my account the day they are dispersed (instead of waiting for a check). I also have a checking account with the FSU credit union, which I use sometimes.

I may keep it open a little longer and use it every once in a while, as a sort of courtesy, since BoA just gave me a CC.

Photobucket
Message 65 of 89
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I am but only because it is such a major pain to change banks. I also have my mortgage with them so I am hoping my combined business will be enough to have the fee waived.
Message 66 of 89
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Chris123nTx wrote:
I am but only because it is such a major pain to change banks. I also have my mortgage with them so I am hoping my combined business will be enough to have the fee waived.

If you have a mortgage with them, do you have their Advantage account?  Any balance on a first mortgage with them qualifies you for Advantage checking with no monthly maintenance fees.  The Advantage account will not be subject to this debit fee.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 67 of 89
aamex
Frequent Contributor

I'm staying. The debit card fees won't be active until January and additionally if you swipe it as credit you want receive the fee. Regardless, I don't know of a bank with better online banking or accessibility to a brick and mortar. I'll pay the 5 bucks of i have to. It's not that big of a deal.... It isn't 5$ per transaction. And if the banks werent getting drowned in regulation we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. Even redbox is increasing its price because of debit card fee changes due to excessive regulation. So i won't fuss (much).
Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 68 of 89
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe if the banks were somewhat responsinble with money, they wouldn't have to be bailed out and then regulated?

USAA has better online banking, by far, because that's the only way TO do  banking.  Granted, they don't have brick and mortar, but in the 5 years I've been with BoA, I went in to an actualy store maybe 3 times, each to fix an error on their behalf, or most recently, to close my account.

Message 69 of 89
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@aamex wrote:
I'm staying. The debit card fees won't be active until January and additionally if you swipe it as credit you want receive the fee. Regardless, I don't know of a bank with better online banking or accessibility to a brick and mortar. I'll pay the 5 bucks of i have to. It's not that big of a deal.... It isn't 5$ per transaction. And if the banks werent getting drowned in regulation we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. Even redbox is increasing its price because of debit card fee changes due to excessive regulation. So i won't fuss (much).

The fee will apply regardless if you run it as debit or credit.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Message 70 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.