cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much CLI to Ask for on Bank of America Cash Rewards Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much CLI to Ask for on Bank of America Cash Rewards Card?

Hi,

I have had the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa card for over two years now and wanted to ask for a CLI. My initial (and current) credit line is $1,500 and I have never asked for a CLI. I always pay on time and in full and always spend several hundred dollars a month with the card. My income is about $30,000 per year. The last time I checked my FICO scores using myFICO (in March 2014), they were all in the low 700s.

How much should I ask for and does it matter whether I do the request over the phone or online? I'm mainly asking because I want to lower my credit utilization since it's pretty high due to the low credit limit.

EDIT: I was approved for the Bank Americard Better Balance Rewards Card with a $2,000 credit limit. Can I use the same HP to try to get a CLI on my first card? If not, can I transfer some of the credit from the second card to the first card without a HP?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: How much CLI to Ask for on Bank of America Cash Rewards Card?

My suggestion: Do it online and request $25,000. They will counter. BTW Good luck!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 2 of 21
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

I opened my travel rewards and BBR iMarch 20, 2015

travel rewards - $2k 

bbr - $10k

called for cli May 27, 2015

travel rewards - $15k

bbr - $12k

then I moved $5k from BBR to travel 

end results :

travel rewards - $20k

bbr - $7k

imsay ask for $15k 

whats your our highest limit card you have ? 

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my only credit card, so my total credit line is only $1,500. Also, I have several student loans and the first one is about five years old, so my total credit history is about five years old.

Message 4 of 21
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

I would say to request high. They will counter with a lower figure.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 21
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

This will be a HP so make it worth it. And them giving you a higher limit is to your advantage when apping for additional cards.
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SOGGIE wrote:

My suggestion: Do it online and request $25,000. They will counter. BTW Good luck!

You might as well, because they'll offer something lower and you may be able to negotiate a little.

Keep in mind that Bank of America will hard pull your credit for a CLI, no matter what.

Message 7 of 21
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

You need more credit cards. If I were you, I would app another BOA card,see how that turns out.

call back a few days later and ask for a cli on ur current card with the same HP.

then I would go app discover and a chase freedom.

Message 8 of 21
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Again, best of luck to you! Let us know how you make out.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

You need more credit cards. If I were you, I would app another BOA card,see how that turns out.

call back a few days later and ask for a cli on ur current card with the same HP.

then I would go app discover and a chase freedom.

This sounds like an excellent plan to me! I would probably wait on the freedom until a better promo comes.  What about  SallieMae?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.