cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much Revolving Credit History recommended before applying for a credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much Revolving Credit History recommended before applying for a credit card?

How many months of revolving credit history should I have before applying for a credit card?

I’m very hesitant at this point and feel like I should age my credit for 6-12 months? I’m really curious to know what your thoughts are.

My Ficos: EX 720, EQ 707, TU 725

I do not charge more than 20% and PIF as soon as it posts (low credit limits).

Capital One Approved - May 1, 2017 ($300).

Discover Secured - July 31, 2017 ($500).

Student Loans are 14 years old (10k owed). I have 2 late payments for Mar-April 2011.

No Collections, judgements, etc…  

3 hits for the above cards & 1 application decline for the card below.

BLUE CASH EVERYDAY (Declined) July 11, 2017.

Reasons for Denial…

Minimal or low credit limits.

Too few established accounts.

Lengths of time accounts have been established.

Too few accounts currently paid as agreed.

The current of past delinquency on your account(s).

The ratio of loan balances to loan amount is too high.

There are no balances on recently reported revolving accounts.

16 REPLIES 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How much Revolving Credit History recommended before applying for a credit card?

You want to let a balance actually report on one credit card rather than paying as soon as it posts reporting $0.

BCE isn't a starter card for those with blemishes in the past; I'd probably wait twelve months but that's me (you can certainly get some additional approvals at the 6 month mark), you have enough installment history that you're facing other UW issues rather than your score and the bulk of that is your limited revolving history.

        
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much Revolving Credit History recommended before applying for a credit card?

Thanks Revelate.

Yea, at the time i wasn't aware that Credit Karma recommendations are worthless. They recommended BCE based on my scores.. I'm greatful to have stumbled on My Fico Forums afterwards. 

I wasn't aware that I needed to roll a balance over.

Does it matter how little of a balance reports (say $10-40)?

Would you recommend rolling a balance over on both cards or just one?

When you say that the bulk of my credit situation is due to my limited revolving history . . . is there anything else that I can do at this point besides. . .

1. Give it time to mature
  2. Let a balance rollover
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@brickie74 wrote:

Thanks Revelate.

Yea, at the time i wasn't aware that Credit Karma recommendations are worthless. They recommended BCE based on my scores.. I'm greatful to have stumbled on My Fico Forums afterwards. 

When you say that the bulk of my credit situation is due to my limited revolving history . . . is there anything else that I can do at this point besides. . .

MyFico is an amazing place to be lots of good reads here. Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@brickie74 wrote:

Thanks Revelate.

Right now not really; longer term you probably want 4 or even 5 revolvers (quality of life 5 vs 4) for scoring purposes.

In general it doesn't really matter what your balances are month to month, but when you do want to apply for something or to see where you are, that's where cleaning up to only one balance reporting is a benefit from a scoring perspective.  Typically I just let my balances report and then pay with very few exceptions, I'd rather lenders see that I'm using my cards in their account reviews and I know it doesn't matter much what my scores are unless I'm applying for something.

Any non-zero dollar amount is fine, though some lenders will write off very low amounts... $5 is fine on a single tradeline, suggested itis <9% on a single tradeline but I just usually leave $20 on a random tradeline but most of mine are well in excess of 1k now... have to micromanage a bit more when just starting to get pretty reporting.

        
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Us Bank visa signature and was denied. I called recon and they said they like to see at least 6 months of revolving history (I’m 19 and barely started my credit journey 2 months ago) so that made sense. I think you should wait till your revolving history gets to 6 months and then look for some new cards.

I got the Paypayl Mastercard from Synchrony with a very limited credit report and was approved for 3K CL and 2% cash back on everything, look into that card.
Message 6 of 17
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

@brickie74 wrote:

I'm concerned about your use of the phrase "roll a balance over." Perhaps I'm misreading you, but I just wanted to be sure we're talking about the same thing:

Never pay interest. ie, always pay it all before the due date(unless circumstances are conspiring against you)

There's a section of FICO points that are optimized by having "all zero except one", or all but a single card reporting zero balance. (pay most before statement date, pay one after statement date but before due date)

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, i never knew there was so much to it, and they have it down to a science here. The internet wins again

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Put into that perspective it makes a lot of sense. I’ll switch my strategy then. Once I’ve matured my cards a bit I’ll make sure my reports show zero balances again before I apply for my next card.

5 sounds like a good number, I have my eyes on 3 already.

Thanks for the advice

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

3k & 2% back, sweet! I will definitely keep that card in mind. It sounds like you are off to a good start. 6months seems like a safe bet, I definitely do not want to try any sooner than 6 months.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.