cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much Synchrony open credit is too much/home improvement financing?

tag
NGeorge
Valued Member

How much Synchrony open credit is too much/home improvement financing?

Hey all;

I just bought a house, and am looking to replace some of the flooring before we move in. My credit rebuild has been going great (I actually got a great rate on my mortgage and saved enough to put 20 pct down!) and my middle score was 686 EQ... my overall utilization is around 6 pct.

I knew once I’d bought the house that I’d take on a bit of credit for some basic improvements... and I’m not wanting to mess up my utilization... I’d considered using my line of credit with my credit union — but I noticed Lumber Liquidators uses Synchrony — and Synchrony seems to like me.

My main question is how much Synchrony credit is too much? They have given me $6k limits on both my Amazon and Walmart cards (Amazon is at 0, $300 on Walmart) as well as $4k on PayPal (also at 0) so that’s $16k in available credit with Synchony... they have been by FAR the most generous creditor along with my credit union (who has given me $10k split between a line of credit and credit card, about $100 used plus my car loan is with them)... Discover and Cap1 has been much slower ($3000 and $2450 respectively... the Cap1 refuses to budge), and I’m on month 3 of getting in with AmEx ($500 approval on a BCE; waiting it out and running a lot through it and paying it off)—that happened about the same time I decided to buy a house lol

So is there a magic number where Synchrony is done? Or where they demand tax info?

Should I just use some of my available credit for this, or open up a new line anyway? The floor will be about 6 grand and Lumber Liquidators has 24 months same as cash or 48 months at 6.99 which isn’t too bad... I’m pretty sure they will approve me for something — but don’t want to do it if it might throw off the rest of my accounts with Synchrony.

Citi and Chase still won’t touch me for anything (inquiries I think)... was going to enter gardening mode after the AmEx and mortgage... but am pondering this one more thing lol

Thanks for your advice — you all have been absolutely amazing help so far on my rebuilding!

N
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: How much Synchrony open credit is too much/home improvement financing?

People tend to run into issues when they have over $100,000 in Synchrony lines or when opening up a lot of accounts at once.  I think you'd be fine; 24 months at 0% is always nice to have.  I live near store #1 and have purchased flooring there.  Congrats on the house!

Message 2 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I have $35k with lowes plus $25k with Home Depot (Citi backed), wife has $25k with Lowes and $20k with HD. I also have Sams Club $14k, and Amazon $10k through Sync so I'm at $59k "exposure" though Sync with no issues. 

Message 3 of 7
NGeorge
Valued Member

Awesome thanks! I’m going to go ahead and do it then... extra tradeline paid on time can’t hurt.
Message 4 of 7
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Go for it! I'm at $85k with Synchrony. They've been good to me. I have no complaints. Their 0% offers are great!
Message 5 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I have $54k between 4 cards and no issues.

$17k of that was in CLIs within the last 2 weeks.

Love lowes 6-24 months 0% financing!

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have $32K spread out among 4 cards (Amazon, Walmart, Care Credit and PayPal 2% Mastercard) and have never experienced problems except for Sync's being stingy about CLI's. I actually seriously considered applying for a CLI on the PayPal MC today but decided to wait until next month after the 3rd statement cuts.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.