cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much do cashback offers stack on Discover?

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

How much do cashback offers stack on Discover?

Does the 5% cashback in Discover's rotating quarterly categories stack with the Shop Discover cashback bonuses? I was hoping to buy a laptop through HP which has a Shop Discover listing. HP also has online coupons, which are supposed to stack with Shop Discover.

Oh, I am assuming buying online from HP counts as "online shopping" for the category beginning October 1. I hope that is a safe assumption!

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: How much do cashback offers stack on Discover?

A CSR told me that shop discover and the cash back rotating categories are 2 seperate things.  You can shop as much on shop discover and get as much cash back that way.  However, you can only earn $75 cash back from rotating categories.  The stacking shop disc and rotating categories sounds to good to be true dun think it works like that.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 2 of 10
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

If they don't stack, I wonder which one trumps the other.Smiley Indifferent

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 3 of 10
afjock21
Valued Member

My brain just exploded.

Message 4 of 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

I called to confirm today. 

I am getting 12% off on my new Macbook Air next Saturday only

5% online purchases

5% shopdiscover apple.com

2% Saturday only

Its true. 

That combined with my brothers education discount ($50 off) my $999 laptop is going to cost $835 out the door with no tax because I'm driving from taxachusetts to tax-free NH to pick it up. 

I asked the CSR: how do you guys even make money?

He just laughed. 

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 10
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

I called to confirm today. 

I am getting 12% off on my new Macbook Air next Saturday only

5% online purchases

5% shopdiscover apple.com

2% Saturday only

Its true. 

That combined with my brothers education discount ($50 off) my $999 laptop is going to cost $835 out the door with no tax because I'm driving from taxachusetts to tax-free NH to pick it up. 

I asked the CSR: how do you guys even make money?

He just laughed. 

So, here's a follow-up. The Saturday one says that that's only valid if the transaction posts on that day. How can anyone be sure when it will post? I usually see them sitting for a day or two at the very least.

Message 6 of 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

It just needs to post AKA show up on your account. Trust me, they wouldn't make you guess the settlement date for pending transactions.  It's Discover, not First Premier. 

You are skeptical and so was I. We are so used to the usually dissapointing outcome of too-good-to-be-true scenarios that when one does come along you don't capitalize on it. 

Don't miss this. 

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 10
afjock21
Valued Member

Taxachusetts is damn right. I feel the pain. Smiley Sad

Good job OP on the discounts! I bet the CSR laughed his ass off, I bet.

Message 8 of 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

@afjock21 wrote:

I'm not OP but he did laugh pretty hard. I don't even need a macbook but when I combined the 12%+$50 off with 0% for 15 months I suddenly couldn't afford NOT to buy it. So it got me to spend their money I suppose. Only problem is I won't be late or default on payments so their capitlistically-perverted plan to put me through usurious financial hardship that they can profit from is officially foiled. 

Message 9 of 10
afjock21
Valued Member

@Jlu wrote:

@afjock21 wrote:

I'm not OP but he did laugh pretty hard. I don't even need a macbook but when I combined the 12%+$50 off with 0% for 15 months I suddenly couldn't afford NOT to buy it. So it got me to spend their money I suppose. Only problem is I won't be late or default on payments so their capitlistically-perverted plan to put me through usurious financial hardship that they can profit from is officially foiled. 

Haha!! You got that right, man... Nicely done.

Watch this man OP!! That's how to STACK!!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.